Sign in to follow this  

scored a hooked up yz project with a doner bike...now what?

I just picked up a 1999 yz250 previously owned by professional racer Kevin Hines. The bike has every single aftermarket add on you can imagine and its titled for street use to boot....This bikes going to need some serious work to get it ripping.

Biggest and most concerning problem is first gear, it will engage but as soon as you roll on the power of pops out and grinds until you upshift. I'm assuming the gear is blown and not a shift fork as the previous owner stated.

Next most concerning is the aftermarket stator being blown...the bike has headlights and tail lights but neither work. How can I test it to know for sure?

I have a 2000 yz250 with a pipe fww and proper jetting with a blown top end and a missing circlip in the bottom end.

From what I understand they are two totally different bikes, but do to financial concerns I'd like to be able to switch over as much as possible from the 2000 to the 99.

Should I send the 2000 motor to Eric gorr fit the stator to it and drop ot in the street legal 1999 frame or is there a better solution?

Almost literally the same bike between 99 and 00.

Infact the 99 is the same basic motor as in the newest version of the 250.

Almost everything should swap over without to much trouble. Plastics are the same, except the number plates are different.

I had a 99 up until this last summer, and it was a great bike. My 06 has many improvements over the 99, but the 99 was more than capable of everything i asked of it.

Thanks thats what I figured, shotty Google source had me thinking otherwise.

Now does anyone have an idea how to diagnose my stator problem?

Thanks thats what I figured, shotty Google source had me thinking otherwise.

Now does anyone have an idea how to diagnose my stator problem?

Unless you can source a wiring diagram I'd say it's time to pull out the multi-meter and see what set of wires is outputting what. If the bike is currently running you can skip the wires going to the CDI & coil.

If it's indeed burned out you may be able to have it rewound or else you're probably gonna have to pop for a new one :lol:

I'm assuming the stator is an eline seeing as though Kevin Hines owns it and it says it on the stator cover, anyone have any wiring diagrams or know how to diagnose this particular brand stator?

pull the cover and look mto see what make it is and then send a pm to the people that made it and ask for a diagram or get them to fix it. philip

99-00 are identical, minus a different color airbox and maybe a few other minor details.

If the bike's running, why would you think it has a stator problem? Most of the time when a stator fails, it won't run.

The stator was an add on for the lights and they don't work

Then look at the lights, not the stator.

Then look at the lights, not the stator.

He has a point. It probably wouldnt run right if the stator was messed up

He has a point. It probably wouldnt run right if the stator was messed up
Not true. E-Line Stator is an external, add-on stator that retains the stock, O.E.M. ignition stator.

I'd still check the lights first, then voltage from the 3 E-line wires.

• Like 1

I just had to troubleshoot a bad stator on my streetbike, here's how to find out if your stator is good or bad.

First you'll need to disconnect the stator wires, I'm assuming it's 3 wires coming out of the stator, which also means it's a 3 phase stator. You'll test for resistance and voltage using a multimeter.

Resistance

Unplug the stator wires, set the multimeter to ohms and measure the resistance across all 3 wires(A-B, B-C, A-C), you should read something like .5 ohms for each. If you have too much resistance across 1 or more wires the stator is bad. Then measure between each wire and ground(A-ground, B-ground, C-ground), you should measure 0 ohms from each wire. If you measure any resistance here the stator is bad.

Voltage

Set the multimeter to AC voltage, unplug the stator wires and start the bike. Measure the voltage across the 3 wires(A-B, B-C, A-C) you should measure something like ~25V and it should increase as you rev the bike. If you don't measure a voltage across 1 or more of the wires or 1 or more of the voltages is super low the stator is bad.

• Like 1

^ that's the answer I needed! I had already inspected the bulbs and wires and narrowed it down to the stator..water could have gotten to the bulbs so ill still replace them to be safe...

Any idea how heavy the eline stator is? This bike seems to wind up way quicker than my 2000 with an 11 oz fww.

^ that's the answer I needed! I had already inspected the bulbs and wires and narrowed it down to the stator..water could have gotten to the bulbs so ill still replace them to be safe...

Any idea how heavy the eline stator is? This bike seems to wind up way quicker than my 2000 with an 11 oz fww.

E-line is 13oz. If the lights are not working you may have to get the e-line rewired. I have had this done once.

If the stator is shot I'll probably will get it rewired, it beginning to look like my particular one is discontinued.

Back to first gear popping out and grinding,,is there any possible way it could be a bent shift fork? I would think the engine would have granaded with a sheared gear floating around.

Sorry i didnt realize it was an add on stator. I just assumed it was a full replacement for the existing stator, which produced the extra necessary power run the lights.

I should do my research first

Back to first gear popping out and grinding,,is there any possible way it could be a bent shift fork? I would think the engine would have granaded with a sheared gear floating around.

Probably