Sign in to follow this  

My 10yr old big enough?

My son just turned 10 and he wants to get back into riding. He has been riding my KLX110 a lot lately and has the fever again. He started riding at age 3 with a PW50 then to the KTM mini adventure, pro senior then KX65 at 7. He got too big and couldnt keep up with kids his age due to his size and wasnt advanced enough to race with the older kids who were more his size. Right now he is over 5'4 and 140lbs. I plan on getting him a new bike and like the 4 stroke power. The 2012 150R looks like a great bike for him. I can lower it if needed. Thanks...

:lol:

Based on the size of your son he will fit the bike. Skill wise that’s may be an issue. Throttle jockeys have big issues with the bike. If he has skill there should not be a problem. This bike is 20 lbs and 3x the power of the KLX110. This will be intimating at first but throttle control is the key. My son is shorter and weights almost ½ of yours. I have a big wheel bike with small wheels for lower seat height and all around better mx feel. Small wheels work much better on the mx track but the woods is a step backwards. I have a rekluse auto clutch and this prevents stalling on the trail (light flywheel). With your son's weight the front wheel will stay planted. Don't get me wrong, this bike will lift the wheel and run down supermini's if the rider and set-up is there. Make sure the suspension is set correctly and have the child fit the bike (handlebar bend, height,,,,). Buy new is nice but there are plenty of left-overs or good used ones out there. Don’t fall for a new exhaust, stock one is the best all around.

As stated before size wise he will fit fine. It does take some getting use too.

My son was 90lbs and 5'0 (barely reached) when he started riding the CRF150R and didn't have any issues riding. Your son will get use to it quicker than you think :-)

Good luck

Alain

He fits fine...I got him a 2012 model. Thanks for the input.

As stated before size wise he will fit fine. It does take some getting use too.

My son was 90lbs and 5'0 (barely reached) when he started riding the CRF150R and didn't have any issues riding. Your son will get use to it quicker than you think :-)

Good luck

Alain

Fancy seeing you over here. I used to post on the Corral as Stroked or Blown. Hopefully you dont still drive a 98 stang. :lol:

I'm 5'2 on a kx100 and reach fine, the kx100 and crf150r are the same size fyi

He fits fine...I got him a 2012 model. Thanks for the input.

Fancy seeing you over here. I used to post on the Corral as Stroked or Blown. Hopefully you dont still drive a 98 stang. :bonk:

Sup man I remember the user name well. It became a race car and got it to go 9.00@152mph with the good ole 4.6 SOHC then I got tired and sold it last year. I've been riding alot with the kids and have fun tinkering with a 2011 WRX. Funny we all go in cycles :smirk: