Sign in to follow this  

Filing a medical claim through bike insurance

Has anyone here used the medical coverage portion of their bike insurance? I have a few thousand dollars worth of medical bills left over after deductibles and what my medical insurance won't seem to cover. My bike insurance has separate medical coverage that I figured should cover these bills, but the bike claims adjuster told me my medical insurance will want to be paid by them first.

Since my bike and auto rates will most likely skyrocket after this, I'm wondering if I actually screwed myself by having medical coverage on the bike. Has anyone here experienced this kind of F'ed up mess?:lol:

I'm curious, has your insurance company actually stated that it's you that's covered?

I've got medical on all my policies but it's for someone else that may be injured due to my negligence etc. Just clarifying because I've personally never heard of medical coverage on the driver from his own policy (that I'm aware of at least, I may not have paid attention).

Yep, it's listed differently from liability and I talked with the insurance company about the claim. It runs about $50 per bike for up to $5000 in medical payments.

Yep, it's listed differently from liability and I talked with the insurance company about the claim. It runs about $50 per bike for up to $5000 in medical payments.

I have the same coverage((5000 medical) but I haven't used it yet. I'm curious to hear how it works out for you. Good luck.

this is my plan for a street bike since i can't afford full medical coverage, let me know how it works out

I'm a motorcycle adjuster on bikes guys. How it works if you actually carry the medical coverage for yourself on the bike policy. That becomes the primary insurance until your limit on it is exhausted. Usually your regular health insurance won't pay anything until the bike insurance limit has been paid out. Now if you were racing when you got hurt you will likely be out of luck.

but if i have full coverage throught he motorcycle insurance and go down or get hit by another vehicle, im covered?

How it works if you actually carry the medical coverage for yourself on the bike policy. That becomes the primary insurance until your limit on it is exhausted. Usually your regular health insurance won't pay anything until the bike insurance limit has been paid out.

So, then it sounds like I actually burned myself by having additional medical coverage on the bike while having health insurance at the same time, since my out of pocket is going to be the same and I'll end up with higher auto/bike/home rates next year.

Normally, if you get hurt driving your car (or bike) the insurance on that pays first and then (assuming there is not not a clause of exclusion) your personal insurance goes from there. In some cases, one policy pays most of the bill, the other policy might cover the

deductible of the first policy. However, in some cases, neither policy will pay until a court decides who has to be first.

You make an insurance claim, expect the rate to go up. Work for a company, make a claim, everyone at the companies rates go up.

Check your health insurance policy carefully. There are exclusions for certain types of injuries.