Sign in to follow this  

Polishing damper rods

Hey guys!!

I've seen it mentioned a few times her about polishing the damper rods to make them slide a little easier in and out of the inner chamber. What process do you guys use? I was thinking like 1000 to 1500 grit paper and then finish with a final polish? I wish I had a bench top mini lathe to help with the process, but that is going to be quite a ways down the road..

I'm looking to do a bunch of the "little" fine tuning mods this winter to help my suspension in any little way I can.

Thanks!

Cody

I haven't heard anything about polishing the inner damping rod, nor would you want to because you would wear the kashima coating down. Now people do polish the chrome legs....

Some damper rods have a chrome surface too. E.g. some showas or wp.

"polishing" may have been the wrong term, I'll have to search a little to find the thread but it said something about getting a little smoother, less friction finish on the damper rod... Seems like I remember Dave J saying it?

i use a scotchbrite pad but very lightly, you don't want to take off any of the coating.

Sometimes there is sticky substance on the dampening rod that need to be removed. Try a white scotch brite pad.

not sure what your doing with your damping rods jwaseman :lol: lol

i think dave was refering to the fork springs,he was polishing them so that they wont get the oil as dirty.and i would not mess with the finish on the damper rods,just a good clean-up of all your parts.only poilish the fork tubes if they need it.

suspension cleaner..just a simple contact cleaner to clean up. dont polish your damping rods. no matter how good you are you will take some of the coating off. when you take the little imperfections if any you are taking out material. you do not want to wear this out prematurely. that will cause more stiction in your suspension than you can possibly imagine. if you want to make this work smoother replace your bushings and seals. one way to get a more consistant flow of your oil is to simply clean up the machine work on your spring seats. i dont mean re machine these. i mean take a very small and very fine finger file or a dremel tool and take out all the little burs in the porting. round off any jagged edges. this will keep your fork oil in your outer chamber from causing an inconsistant feel. you will be suprised at the difference if you d a good job. all those little burs and improfections can cause turbulence in the oil as it flows through epsecialy at highspeed compression. like i said dont make the ports bigger unless you want a more plush and softer HSC just take out burs and sharp edges which will cause inconsistant drag on the oil as it blows through.

polishing the rods is reccomended if they are the old steel rods.

the rt dvd reccomends doing this.

they havent used steel rods since the early 90's they are almost all aluminum with kashima coating now days.

what is the rt dvd?

Showa RM 125 02 -->steelrod

WP --> steelrods (havent seen newer ones yet, but till 06 they used steel i guess)

not sure what your doing with your damping rods jwaseman :lol: lol

Not following you here. I'm not polishing the coating off of the rod. Just lightly removing the sticky build up on the rod.. Please stick your finger back in your pocket sir! lol!

LOL! I didn't see you were poking at me. I'll get my skirt back down.!:)

removing sticky build up is fine but suspension cleaner will take that off..im suprised wp used them that long now.and i kind of worded that wrong. the early 90's started use of other al. rods with kashima coating not too popular till the late 90's havent worked on eany thing really in the early 2000 though or a wp for that matter.

they havent used steel rods since the early 90's they are almost all aluminum with kashima coating now days.

what is the rt dvd?

the dvd came with the goldvalve instalation kit.

they recomend polishing the rods on the kyb openbath forks on cr500 1996-2001.

1200grit and metal polish and a rag worked a treat.

I think you mean early 00s

the cr 500 from those years i'm pretty sure still had steel rods so that is fine. i would get some 1000 grit and some maybe 1500 grit and polish them with that. you can go finr if you want just take your time and do a nice job

I was refering to the "sticky substance" lol maybe it was only me that found it funny :)

Not following you here. I'm not polishing the coating off of the rod. Just lightly removing the sticky build up on the rod.. Please stick your finger back in your pocket sir! lol!

LOL! I didn't see you were poking at me. I'll get my skirt back down.!:lol: