Sign in to follow this  

02 crf450 NEED HELP!!!! Please

I have a crf450 with a 511 stroker kit while riding in the sand dunes my balance shaft gear came apart and went through the case I have not fully disassembled the engine/trans but I do not see any other damaged parts could anybody shed some light on what might have happened

Oh and also the bike handles terrible all stock suspension pro taper bars, I get speed wobble really bad and corners like a grocery cart!! triple clamps??? thanks

Cant help much on what caused the balancer shaft to blow , but i can tell you that the Dogger can help you get your STOCK suspension working excellent and you can do it yourself , i have been learning how to re-valve , and was having issues with mine , i was getting real frustrated , i was getting lots of help here in the Suspension Forums , but to much mixed info , so , i was trying different stacks , and still getting beat to death , and could hardly hold on to the bike at times , so ,I got a hold of him , explained to him all my issues as well as my weight and height , riding style and riding type , and he sent me a stack suggestion to try , thru email , and he even called me to make sure i understood all the details , i put it in to his specs , the bike is night and day from what it was , stock clamps and all , check out the Do It Yourself Re-Valve at the Sticky at the top of this 450R forum , loads of good info for the first timer , its not that hard , i will also recommend Renthal RC Fatbars (you will have to change your risers to 1 1/8" , but they are easily available , get the ones that allow you the 3mm offset , i run mine in the forward position) , the bend is much better than the stockers , and they are taller , which changes how your body is positioned on the bike , it handles better with the bars , sag at 100mm unless your trail riding with it, or if it still speed wobbles , then go to 102 or 105mm , for off-road only then go to 105-110mm , the forks have a notch about 6mm down from the top , that is where the forks are supposed to be , the top mark like you would put newer R forks is for if you use a 20" front wheel , as it was a option in 02

Also make sure your forks are aligned (evenly not side to side) , take off your front wheel and take your axle and stick it in without the wheel , gently slide it in to the opposite fork lug , it should freely go into it all the way and spin easily , if it hits or wont spin , then grab one leg and move it up or down slightly with just pressure , if the axle slides easily , then your forks were not aligned and it will cause handling issues , just loosen 1 leg just enough so you can move it up and down without it dropping out , then check the axle , when it inserts freely and spins freely , then tighten down ,(and Torque , very important) , the leg and put it back together

But do your own Re-Valve , i can let you try the stack the Dogger had me try , i have hardly messed with the clickers since changing it , also very important for speed wobble ,is to tighten the head bearings , tighter than stock recommends , a lot tighter (first make sure they are in good shape and are smooth from stop to stop) , i tighten mine so it acts like a dampener , if you grab the bars it takes pressure to move the bars , and pushing it , it will not hit the bump stops unless you put some effort into it , all these things make the bike night and day from what it is stock ,my bike is that good handling now , my bike will turn so sharp it will make you think you are riding a Suzuki , and it never gets head shake , ever , i ride track and some off-road with it , it wont handle like a 08 , but it will be a complete different bike if its set up correctly , mine is !

Edited by 450XJimDirt