Sign in to follow this  

Stoked on getting new bike!

Hey hows it goin guys, so i have an 06 crf250 and am finally getting my bike paid off for christmas, then im selling her for a smoker!! :lol: I was just looking around on craigslist today at some bikes and came across a 2005 rm125 basically brand new, bought in late 2006, says maybe 10 hours on it! the pictures show it justice. wants 2600 for it. So knowing that im not gunna have my bike sold and money in hand for a month and a half or so, i decide to take a shot and see if he is in a hurry to sell. So i tell him my story and asked if he could hold on to it until i had the money,and told him id give him the full asking price. turns out he doesnt even want to sell it but his wife wants it GONE haha, so he said just hang on to his number and let him know when i get my bike sold and he'd hang on to it for me. I was stoked when he said he'd hold it because you dont find a older bike to often in mint condition.!

btw its got frame guards and fmf shorty.

basically just posting this cause im stoked to be getting back on a smoker! :)

Hey hows it goin guys, so i have an 06 crf250 and am finally getting my bike paid off for christmas, then im selling her for a smoker!! :lol: I was just looking around on craigslist today at some bikes and came across a 2005 rm125 basically brand new, bought in late 2006, says maybe 10 hours on it! the pictures show it justice. wants 2600 for it. So knowing that im not gunna have my bike sold and money in hand for a month and a half or so, i decide to take a shot and see if he is in a hurry to sell. So i tell him my story and asked if he could hold on to it until i had the money,and told him id give him the full asking price. turns out he doesnt even want to sell it but his wife wants it GONE haha, so he said just hang on to his number and let him know when i get my bike sold and he'd hang on to it for me. I was stoked when he said he'd hold it because you dont find a older bike to often in mint condition.!

btw its got frame guards and fmf shorty.

basically just posting this cause im stoked to be getting back on a smoker! :)

sounds to good to be true, whered you find the post craigslist? is it still there on the site? If someone comes to him cash in hand i highly doubt he'll say sorry im holding it for someone. But if he does hold it hey congrats on being a new owner of a 2 stroke, very fun bikes to ride

I agree it does sound to good to be true, but he isnt in a rush to sell it, it just sits in his garage collecting dust, and the wife wants it out haha. Yea it was on a seattle craigslist posting, but like maybe 10 mins after i talked with hi he actually took his post off like he said he would so as far as i know theres no way for somebody to come to him with straight cash! , idk it does seem odd that he would just trust some random person though...:lol:, im going to call him again to set up a time to go check it out.

Haha I had a hard time getting a guy to hold a bike for me for three days until the weekend,so that I could make the 100mile trek to pick it up. Had me send him a pic of the cash before he would commit to anything. Looking back on it,perhaps he was just a shrewd salesman. Lol

Yeah, be sure and let us know how that works out. If I were a betting man (which I am), I would bet that he will either sell it or decide to keep it in the next 6 weeks. I mean...what motivation would a seller have to hold a bike for 6 weeks...for a guy he doesnt know. Ive bought and sold alot of bikes...Im just banking on personal experience here. You may want to find yourself another deal...if nothing else, as a backup plan.

Yea I mean I honestly wouldn't hold it for some random personI either haha, but I offered to give him collateral to believe that I wont flake... but he was fine with just waiting , it seems as if he just now got around to putting it up on craigslist(as if its just has been sitting , and his wife finally made him put it up in CL) lol. But yea ill let you guys know if it works out. And i'll post pics if it goes through as well!

Haha I had a hard time getting a guy to hold a bike for me for three days until the weekend,so that I could make the 100mile trek to pick it up. Had me send him a pic of the cash before he would commit to anything. Looking back on it,perhaps he was just a shrewd salesman. Lol

Haha, sounds like he's had some bad experiences with people that flaked on him :lol:

was it a killer deal?

Whats wrong with your 250F ? Just tired of it? your replacing it with an older, cheaper motorcycle with less power --- doesn't make much sense if motocross is your bag

(you know all this already I'm sure -- and you dont need my validation for your transactions, i just hope your happy with it in the long run)

Whats wrong with your 250F ? Just tired of it? your replacing it with an older, cheaper motorcycle with less power --- doesn't make much sense if motocross is your bag

(you know all this already I'm sure -- and you dont need my validation for your transactions, i just hope your happy with it in the long run)

way to make it sound bad, haha older, cheaper, less power. All true though, and yea man im just tired of it. I also didnt know alot about bikes when i got the crf, and didnt realize that the crf had more maintence involved and when it comes around to rebuilding it and what not its gunna cost me some $$$ and i dont know alot about 4 stroke engines,but i get the concept of how they work lol.So basically im getting a new (OLD) bike because 1)i miss my old two stroke and forgot how much fun they are! 2) i like the simplicity and power delivery alot 3) I would like to start working on my own bike instead of going to a service shop and paying out the :banghead: for labor. 4) The bike APPEARS to be near brand new from what the pictures show, so im stoked to be getting a near new bike you know?

Honestly you could be right about me not being happy in the long run but i dont really mind the power because its not like its a POS compared to a 250f powerwise, its more about rider ability (imo). I know im going to loss my torque down low :), but ill fall back in love with the clutch :lol: and no motocross is not my bag, i dont race. But i plan to use it for practice days at tracks. and woods riding, not so much technical trail riding, but more flowing switch back trails.

way to make it sound bad, haha older, cheaper, less power. All true though, and yea man im just tired of it. .

Didn't mean it to sound that bad, but when i re-read it ....... :lol:

Anyway --- in the weird scheme of things, the 6 year old 125 is probably more current than the 5 year old 250F if you look at how quickly the 4 stroke are rendered "obsolete" by the latest, greatest models that is ----

the 2 strokes stay relevant with just a little updating here and there

Heck, with a big bore kit, you can have equivalent power to your 250F fairly easilly if anyone makes an overbore cylinder kit for the RM

yea man that makes sense, never really thought about it that way but two strokes have been being innovated since the 70's and the modern 4 stroke race bikes came around in like 04. I was debating whether to get a 250 or a 125, and was leaning towards the 250. Looks like im going to take a shot at the 125 though... for now :lol:, going to look at the bike today.

:Went to to check it out...You can barely tell someone has even ridden it yet!, theres a few very light scuff marks on the clutch cover, and a few boot marks on the plastic from the dude getting on it cause he is short lol. super stoked on it. :lol:

Haha, sounds like he's had some bad experiences with people that flaked on him :lol:

was it a killer deal?

Hell no! I paid full asking price because A:It was the bike that I had been looking for(200xc-w) and B: the price he was asking was fair by local market standards. I rarely see any real "deals" around here for KTM smokers. You never get the best deal possible if you are shopping for a specific bike I don't think. The open minded shopper finds the best deals IMO.

hahaha oh jeez, and yea i never see ktm smokers for deals, your right ill see people trying to sell their 06's or 07's for like 4 around 4000 (not deals) :). Your right though keeping and open mind is good, i was looking for a cr or a yz aluminum frame only. The last thing on my list was a suzuki better yet with a steel frame haha. But decided to flip the script and try a suzuki out because of a fair price for a bike that looks like its been ridin once. :lol:, cant wait to get back on a smoker.

yea man that makes sense, never really thought about it that way but two strokes have been being innovated since the 70's and the modern 4 stroke race bikes came around in like 04. I was debating whether to get a 250 or a 125, and was leaning towards the 250. Looks like im going to take a shot at the 125 though... for now :lol:, going to look at the bike today.

The modern 4 stroke race bikes have been around since 1998 with the introduction of the YZ/WR400. Yamaha really set the standard and the others followed. The 98-2002 YZ/WR still is a great engine design..powerful and fairly low maintenance.

hahaha oh jeez, and yea i never see ktm smokers for deals, your right ill see people trying to sell their 06's or 07's for like 4 around 4000 (not deals) :). Your right though keeping and open mind is good, i was looking for a cr or a yz aluminum frame only. The last thing on my list was a suzuki better yet with a steel frame haha. But decided to flip the script and try a suzuki out because of a fair price for a bike that looks like its been ridin once. :lol:, cant wait to get back on a smoker.

I paid $2700 for mine last year. Guys over in the KTM section would say thats too much,but I see you are in WA too,so you see the same bikes on CL that I do,and know how they are priced. I was happy to find a clean 06 for that money.

The modern 4 stroke race bikes have been around since 1998 with the introduction of the YZ/WR400. Yamaha really set the standard and the others followed. The 98-2002 YZ/WR still is a great engine design..powerful and fairly low maintenance.

I couldn't agree more with this. I bought a 98 WR when they came out. Traded in my XR400 on it,and could hardly believe that the two bikes where the same displacement. My heart actually raced the first time I cracked open the throttle in 3rd on the WR. It was far more at home in the eastern WA desert type terrain than it was on western WA slop. That doesn't mean it was bad in the tight sloppy stuff though. Very capable bike.