Sign in to follow this  

Removed Exhaust Cap, What did I find?!?!? help needed

as some of my other threads have indicated, i have had some issues getting my bike to run just right, when i was working on it today, i thought, hmmm i have never checked the exhaust system....so i popped the end cap off and this is exactly what i see....

looks like there is no packing...it is an FMF exhaust (not sure which kind) and it says USFS approved but i didnt see any kind of screen or anything...i bought this bike a year ago and it came with the exhaust so i never thought anything of it...

any comments on opinions on this would be awesome, i have virtually no experience with dirt bike exhaust systems so im looking to you guys thanks

2011-11-29193836.jpg

2011-11-29193844.jpg

It's basically a typical glass-pack muffler with a spark arrester on the outlet end.

The majority of the muffler length uses a core with holes all around it, and fiberglass is wrapped around that to absorb sound.

The fiberglass has to be replaced after a while.

The propeller-looking thing is the spark arrester.

It makes the exhaust gas swirl around, and any hot particles are flung to the outside and not out the exhaust outlet.

so i should not be able to see through it?

also, where does the packing go? in between the perforated metal and the outside can or between the spark arrestor turbine and the perforated metal.

thanks

You won't be able to see through mufflers with spark arresters typically.

Yes, the packing goes between the perforated metal and outer skin.

I also bought a 03 wr with an FMF pipe just like this and was confused. what i did is remove the 4 screws at the motor end of the muffler and slide the can off. The packing is in the front half of the muffler, normal glass pack. I did try to add around the perf area of the back half but it is almost impossible to get the center section out of the can. I just repack the front half every year. the pipe is a bit loud but great throttle response.

cool so it sounds like this exhaust doesnt look too bad to everyone...

is there any routine maintenance i should do while I have it apart? btw, i could only get the end cap off, i took the other bolts on the rest of the muffler off but it wont come apart easily and i dont want to force it and have to buy a new 500 dollar exhaust

On the several FMF mufflers/spark arresters I've owned, it came apart by removing the forward-most bolts.

Sometime, there is one rear bolt as well.

The can would then slide off the fiberglass-wrapped core toward the rear.

It is typically not easy to get it to come apart at first.