Sign in to follow this  

Garmin 62 owners chime in

OK, I think after all my looking the Garmin 62 is looking good. 1st is price at REI it's 300.00 I dont care for touch screens, Just preference. Do i really need a sd card slot ?

I rid most of California so whats the best mapping to purchase for trails etc. and am i looking at a good GPS here? Stop me or give me a thumbs up or whatever else you may have to say about the 62.

Thanks MrWizzard.

I am not familiar with the 62. looks like there are several versions, a 62, a 62s, and a 62st. considerable price differences between the models. looks like alot of the features are geared toward car navigation, may or may not be helpfull on a bike. you can subscribe and get a satalite photo service on at least some of the models - (maybe what the S stands for?) that would come in real handy when you end up lost, or just want to see whats ahead of behind you!

I have a 60 myself, love it. The SD slot is crucial for me, i am able to put in whatever maps I want on the card. For instance - when I ride in Michigan, i put in the card that contains all of the michigan trails, when I ride california, i put in a card that contains topo maps for all of california and Nevada, with trails overlaid. slackinhard is correct, REI typically will will bend you over, but from what I can see here, they have the same price as amazon and lots of other sources.

The S and ST models include the pressure barometer - which I use alot on mine - to determine altitudes I am at - comes in handy if I need to adjust a carb, but usually just fun to see how much we climbed up or went down!

Carl Johansson

Edited by carl johansson
added info

Good point Carl. As for REI they have the best or same price as Amazon and REI is 5 min away so i like that. The altitude thing is a plus i agree and yes the price jump is substantial.

John

Good point Carl. As for REI they have the best or same price as Amazon and REI is 5 min away so i like that. The altitude thing is a plus i agree and yes the price jump is substantial.

John

Contributing to REI is contributing to those that don't want motorized vehicles. I avoid them like a plague. It's all good...just puttin it out there.

:lol:

Shop ebay for the 62s.

I have a 76CSX, sister to the 60CSX and it is a great GPS. Last year I bought a Oregon, it is OK for hiking but after several ride I prefer the 76CSX. The only shortcoming on the 60/76 is the lack of memory space for downloaded tracks (my trails), the 62s/78s fixed that with 10 times more space for downloaded track points.

These units come with Garmon's MapSource SW that allows you to manage maps and data on the GPS unit with a PC or MAC. I upload my tracks after each ride for reference. I also use Switcbacks.com free trails and maps.

I just did a bunch of research on this and it sound like the 62 still has a few small issues with uploading tracks from other peoples gpx files etc. Plus is sound like the integrity of the case has been problematic for some. Finally the 62 lost the 12 volt connector so the possibility of hardwiring it to your bike is gone since the usb on the 62 is 5 volts. The custom mapping on the 62 would be handy however. Anyways, after doing all my homework I ended up getting a 60Csx. It just seems like a more tried and true unit with lots of users out there for support. Plus you can find them for under $200, which would give you the compass and altimeter and and extra 100 bucks in you pocket.

O yea, dont by sheet from REI. I wouldn't doubt if their largest tax write off is their donations to the sierra club. Not a good organization to support.

I haven't had a need to load tracks from other GPS unit, my understanding is there are software converters that will fix incompatibilities.

Hadn't heard about the case issue, I was getting ready to go for a 62s (or a 78s) because it will store more downloaded track points (save me from converting tracks to map overlays).

Battery port is a non issue for me because of the 18hour battery life, I just carry a spare pair in my pack. I don't like the idea of hooking up the GPS unit to the dirty power on a MC without a battery (a MC battery acts as a filter).

I have an Oregon, same function features as the 62/78 and IMO all of the improved features beyond the 60Csx/76Csx are not big issues for use on a bike except for the larger capacity for downloaded tracks, of course YMMV. The Oregon with its touch screen and menus is fine for hiking but is a PITA on a dirt bike, buttons rule!

And yes REI is the enemy, try an outfitter like Cabella or Bass Pro. But ebay or Amazon will get you the best price. Sometimes you can find the unit you want as a reman from Garmin or from a reseller on ebay.

My idea is that I am going to load city navigator onto the unit and then overlay my tracks on the base map for all my rides and overtime create a North American base map with all the roads AND trails that I have been on. I just seems easier over time to interconnect everything out there. Especially in Baja. I have not done any of the overlays yet though... Are you using a mac, and if so how are you doing the overlays?

Unless there's a reason you need the 62/78, I'd look at the 60/76's.

The 6_ is the "handheld" model, 7_ is the "marine" flavor.

The 62 is the only one that doesn't have the big 4-pin round connector; only option for externally powering that one is through the USB connector. On the motorcycle, I'd much rather have a big, beefy, water-resistant connector than a USB cable. Doing that also lets you wire directly to the battery instead of going through a regulator.

The 62/78 offers a little higher resolution screen, a little faster processor (not noticeable in my experience), wireless data sharing, and raster images (aerial photos, trail maps, etc) overlaid on the map page. There's changes to the map/memory management, provisions for importing GPX's from the memory card, and a little more tracklog/waypoint space. None of those have ever been a limitation with my 60; the only thing I would like is aerial photos, but that's not worth the difference in price to me.

The 60's and 76's are on clearance right now at retailers across the country. West Marine has the 76Cx (Best one of the bunch IMO) for under $150.

Why the 76Cx? I prefer the buttons-over-screen layout, much easier to enter data when holding the unit in your hand. No sensors, either... I have the 60CSx right now, the compass stays off and the baro sensor just pisses me off. Unless you calibrate it regularly it's always wrong. Kinda cool for reading atmospheric pressure, but if they could decouple that from the altitude reading I'd be much happier with it.

Another thing is the mounting options for the 76. That RAM-mount surrounds the entire receiver adding another layer of protection to the device. The 60 relies on the little belt clip on the back. I've peeled my GPS in half in a crash because of the forces applied to the belt clip from the cradle.

DSC00263.jpg

Secondary securing by looping the wrist strap around the bars, in case the mount fails.

DSC00262.jpg

Why I'd rather have a wrap-around mount than the belt clip situation...

DSC02499.jpg

I think the brake line or ground made contact with the antenna and pulled upwards on it, splitting it apart from the bottom housing and belt clip knob.

DSC02514.jpg

Was able to repair it though. :lol:

Oh... and re: track log... The 60/76 can only display 10,000 track points. Which I've only ever managed to fill a little over half of in a day; that was on a 200+ mile dualsport ride.

But.... But but but. You can turn on a "Log Track to Data Card" option. :lol:

So every time a track point is written to Active Log, it's also written to a GPX file on the memory card. Those files are somewhat protected, you can erase the Active Log on the GPS but all the tracks are still on the card. I've had that option on since I bought the GPS, I'm up to about 44MB of tracks all over North America with the thing. Snowmobile trails, dirt rides, business trips via air, road trips in my truck... Tens of thousands of miles of tracks in there.

Only thing is you can't view those tracks on the device, you'll need a computer to read/manipulate those.