Sign in to follow this  

getting ready for the full rebuild on my 04

done two top ends on it and i want to get into the bottom end before things go bad.

so my question is, to you guys who have done your fair share of 03+RM250 bottom end rebuilds,

what should i expect?

my parts list isnt too long but long enough to where i know itll be done right.

-crank/bearings

-2nd,3rd, and 4th gears,circlips, and forks(all trans parts will be ISF'd)

-trans bearings

-all accessory drive bearings and seals

-full wiseco clutch

-replating cylinder

-wiseco 808 top end

-fix loose/leaking PV breather fittings.

-all new carb hoses and fuel feed line

-powdercoat frame black.

let me know if you can think of anything else i could need to do while its all apart.

thanks!

The most common part on my bikes to go out is the wheel bearings, linkage bearings and shock bearings.

I would just look the trans gears and shift forks over real good for wear or silver areas and replace the ones that mite be starting to look bad. Trans gears work or the don't work. Most common gears to go out are 3rd pinion with the shift fork, 6th wheel gear and 2nd wheel gear.

Man, going throuh the trans might be overkill eh?

I believe in the saying,, don't fix it if it ain't broke,, leave the the trans alone, unless something is wrong with it...use Your money for bearings, chains, sprockets, Christmas presents,,,, just kidding,, check those steering head bearings,, or send Me some money,, I need some tires, grips,air filter,,,, and a fat Chick,, it's starting to get cold down here....... good luck.......Dr.D..

The most common part on my bikes to go out is the wheel bearings, linkage bearings and shock bearings.

I would just look the trans gears and shift forks over real good for wear or silver areas and replace the ones that mite be starting to look bad. Trans gears work or the don't work. Most common gears to go out are 3rd pinion with the shift fork, 6th wheel gear and 2nd wheel gear.

What do you mean by pinions and wheel gears?

Pinions slide on the shaft side to side to engage into the wheel gears to change gears. The wheel gears spin on the shaft and do not move side to side. The pinion has whats called dogs (notches that engage in the holes of the wheel gears). Worn dogs will case the bike to slip or jump in and out of gear under a load. This is the most common wear point. Check the dogs and look at the inside of the wheel gears to see if there is any silver or shinny spots or rounded edges. That is the main wear and tear on the gear sets. Hope that is understandable.

yea i just look things over in the tranny like padgett said look for any silver areas and check the bearings in the tranny casings make sure they are good ive never had any problems with my RM motor wise def check clutch basket might need one of those if its still stock