Sign in to follow this  

Closed C forks on CRF 2005

Can somebody please point me in the right direction with these forks.

Had the forks apart to change the springs, but when re-assembling I don't understand how the oil in the damper assy can stay separate from the oil in the stanchion.

I filled up the damper rod with 192 mls of oil as per manual, pushed the damping assy with the oil seals down and tightened it up. At this stage there was no oil in the stanchion only the damper assy, but when I tilted the fork, oil came out of the two holes near the top of the damper assy.

Surely something is wrong with my forks as otherwise when the bike falls over the oil from the damper will leak into the stanchion and in that case whats the point of being accurate when filling the damper?

Am I missing something obvious?

I'm pretty shure this is normal, no worries :lol: After you have pumped the damper assy several times you're supposed to drain out the extra oil from this hole. (see page 102, pt. 14 in the owners manual) But as you say, I can't really figure out why the oil height is so extremely important if you just pump out the overflow anyway?

The manual gives you an amount to put in the upper chamber that overfills. It then tells you to pump the rod and the excess ends up above the chamber by the bleed hole. You're supposed to turn the assembly upside down or blow compressed air in there to get out the excess. So if I understand, the excess oil that travels one way and fluid from the lower chamber can't travel in. That's my wild guess.

yes it s normally but i use 200cc of oil and when you push up the rod pull out the oil and air from the chamber. if you use 190 is difficult blow up all air from chamber