Sign in to follow this  

Fractured clavicle question

Hi everyone, I found this forum while researching online just hoping someone here can help me. I came off my bike on the 1st November this year while cycling to work and fractured my clavicle.

I'm a 23 year old male triathlete who usually trains 6 days a week. I have been for a follow up appointment with an orthopaedic consultant today, I found it odd that he didn't send me for another X-ray but instead has referred me for physio. I currently cannot rotate my shoulder inwards or lift my arm to vertical (it feels as though the bone is in the way) but the consultant seems fairly adamant that it will heal on its own.

I haven't been able to return to work (web developer) as I cannot sit up straight for any length of time as the weight of my dropped shoulder gives me neck, back and shoulder blade pain from trying to keep myself upright.

Are these normal symptoms for a clavicle fracture that will heal by itself and am I just being paranoid about the injury from reading recent studies that claim a malunion can result in loss of strength, mobility and endurance? Or do I have a reason to be worried?

I haven't got a copy of the X-ray here are a few photos showing the lump and my dropped shoulder

http://db.tt/dDpJEavK

http://db.tt/rSPeG6Eu

X ray taken 39 days after fracture.

http://db.tt/hkUNZlYs

Consultant still thinks it will heal fine and that I will get full ROM back. Would really appreciate your opinion if possible Dr Mark. Thanks.

I am not a doctor or anything close, but how can that be expected to heal while allowing movement. My clavicle looked similar with a little more displacement and the ER docs tried to say it would heal on its own and put me in that harness that keeps your shoulders back. Needless to say I could hear it clicking all the time, went to ortho and ended up with 2 plates and a handfull of screws.

IMG_0465.jpg

The two ends of the bone have something holding them together as they no longer move independently, I'm pretty sure the two ends will union (which is all it seems NHS consultants are bothered about). I'm worried about long term with my sports (had aimed to qualify for the European champs next year and I've already missed over a month of my year plan) and posture as I'm already walking with a lean to the injured side.

that dosent look right to me. im no doctor either but have broken plenty of bones :lol: did they even re align it after that xray was taken or they said it would heal fine from how it was there

That X-ray was taken a few hours ago, the accident took place on 1st November. They said it would heal fine as it is...

I would get a second opinion. Twice I have ended up in surgery to correct something a doctor said would heal on its own. Even a doctor can make a mistake. I know when my daughter fractured her clavicle (hair line) they didn't allow her to do anything with it until it was completely mended, and you almost couldn't see it on the x-ray.

I would get a second opinion. Twice I have ended up in surgery to correct something a doctor said would heal on its own. Even a doctor can make a mistake. I know when my daughter fractured her clavicle (hair line) they didn't allow her to do anything with it until it was completely mended, and you almost couldn't see it on the x-ray.

I've been for a second opinion today, both consultants have said the same - it will heal fine in time. From seeing my X-rays and from what I've read online I'm still not sure myself. I value Dr Marks opinion over anyone else's at the minute - he's seen and fixed 100's and his opinion isn't dictated by how much it's going to cost the local health service to fix.

I've been for a second opinion today, both consultants have said the same - it will heal fine in time. From seeing my X-rays and from what I've read online I'm still not sure myself. I value Dr Marks opinion over anyone else's at the minute - he's seen and fixed 100's and his opinion isn't dictated by how much it's going to cost the local health service to fix.

I hear ya, just replying to pass the time, wasn't trying to tell you I know anything of importance, just relating my story to your question.

I hear ya, just replying to pass the time, wasn't trying to tell you I know anything of importance, just relating my story to your question.

Sorry mate, wasn't trying to say that I don't value your opinion/story as I do, just that I value Dr Marks over the consultants I've seen today.