Sign in to follow this  

91 yz 250 total rebuild

Whats up guys and gals after 2 paint jobs and 3 rebuilds I have decided to totally rebuild my 91 yz 250. Now I know some would say why rebuild this 20 yr old bike when a newer bike would be more reasonable to fix and ride but I LOVE this bike and over the years have invested too much time and money into this bike and I know it inside and out. 4 yrs ago the entire suspension and topend was redone including a sweet find on ebay scoring a BRAND NEW cylinder for a 92 yz 250 for 60 bucks!

So after 4yrs and 1260 hrs on the cylinder and wiseco piston and rings the lower connecting rod bearing let go. So I purchased a crank with a new hot rod connecting rod and wiseco piston/ring and full cometic gasket and seal kit and after looking at the bike for month the old girl needed some help not looking her age so last weekend I tore into her removing all the plastic and disassembling everything on the bike. I regularly pull all the wheel axles and swing arm bolt and clean and grease them at least twice a yr, but I discovered this time that the swingarm bolt would not come out ,it would not move at all so after repeated sprays with pb blaster , heat and ruining it with a punch and hammer I had to break out the sawzall with a metal blade and cut it between the engine case and swing arm! I will post pictures of this rebuild as it progress's the agenda is frame bead blasted new paint , plastic, swingarm and linkage bearings,tires,chain/sprockets and top/bottom end in motor.

Edited by Spyderwolf

Can't wait!!! I have done a few ground restorations on some older yz's too! Love the older stuff!!!

Your a weird guy for staying devoted to the same bike that long (weird does not necesarilly mean bad) --- i haven't thought about '91 YZ 250's since '91 -- LOL -- looking forward to seeing a pic or two -- the one in your garage file is avatar sized

I had a '91 YZ250 for a couple of months that year , but the Suzuki amateur contingency program was so much better than Yamaha's, a lot of people switched to Yellow --- the contingencie and dealer bucks were enough to keep your bike running well through a whole season if you were moderately successful !

That said, my impression of the 91 YZ was the same as the impression i have of my current YZ450F --

the bike had good power, was very stable, had great suspension out of the box for the time -

-- on the flip side, the RM was a barky midrange motor, - the chassis was twitchy enough that it physically hurt me on several occasions, and the whole thing was held together with fasteners that would strip if you looked at them the wrong way

--- When i read side by side comparisons of all the bikes today, the magazines all say roughly the same thing about them 20 years later

This is the most recent photo I have of the bike after a fun day of riding at Hickory Hill.

http://i965.photobucket.com/albums/ae132/Spyderwolf/Mobile%20Uploads/1322680996.jpg1322680996.jpg

the photo is a yr old if not more you'll notice the frame is not white since I painted it Yamaha blue which I'm staying with and switching back to all white plastic

Edited by Spyderwolf

Get those graphics copied or go custom because you will never find a set on ebay for that bike.I know from past experience:banghead:

Good luck and keep us updated

In the Sea of yellow-Look at my Old school.--See more at Photobucket-Prostreetray. Funny about the Old YZ/WR's There the 396's of the Mucle cars LOL.- Let see it ?

C-ya.

Nov053.jpg

300CraigsListSpecial021.jpg

I love this bike!!!!!! Heres mine. Just started on it again. Hope the pics work.

1322769244.jpg.html?o=0&newest=1

Before and after. Now working on brake rebuilds etc.

1322769181.jpg.html?o=1&newest=1

Keep her alive! I sold my 98 cr250 4 years ago when I went off to college...Thought about it all the time...By the grace of god 4 years later my buddy found it, and yes I bought it back! Lesson learned. It's still a good bike but just needs some work. I am constantly throwing all the bells and whistles on. Basically anything that isn't "cherry" is replaced. We will finish off by doing the top end and crank seals for christmas :lol: Just thankful to have her back! Don't let anyone talk you out of getting rid of it especially for a 4t or something...They don't make these bikes anymore. It will be the shit to own later on in life when they become more rare.

300CraigsListSpecial021.jpg

What do you put on the tires to make them look so nice?

Any cleaner for car tires will bring a shine to the tires just dont get it on the knobbies makes them slick . AND NO WAY would get rid of this bike dont like 4t too heavy dont like engine braking and was raised on 2t

How the hell do you not get it onto the knobs? I've used armor all with "meh" results but I've found it really doesn't matter as soon as the tire hits the dirt, as far as slick goes.

Ive always wondered if 93 rad shrouds would fit a 91?

Is that what is on the bike above? 93 shrouds? Ive been looking at the louvers from a 93 but didnt want to buy them and not have them fit. I know 91s and 92s are about the same. Any idea?

This is the most recent photo I have of the bike after a fun day of riding at Hickory Hill.

the photo is a yr old if not more you'll notice the frame is not white since I painted it Yamaha blue which I'

m staying with and switching back to all white plastic

Link to a site that has a few shroud/tank sticker repro's --- If you decided to go back and paint your frame white, a set of these and a red seat cover would seriously trick it out and make it look somewhat original --- you need to re-spray that frame anyway if you are going to do the job right -- or spend a c note and powder coat it

http://www.reproductiondecals.com/default_frameset.html?content.html~main

may be hard to find the factory magenta seat cover and shroud graphics though

Boooo that website doesn't have shit for hondas...I think my 98 is a little too new to be listed on there anyway. I currently have dirty old black plastics minus the rear fender. Ripped it clean off when my throttle stuck wtfo couple weeks back :/ but now I'm going with all white plastics and red/black graphics/accessories.

Yeah already started the paint stripping 5 cans of stripper got almost all of it off 4 coats of paint except where my boots wore it off and assorted chips but came out nice and clean will tke a scotch brite and wire wheel to it then degrease and then paint, am actually using a Ford paint its cheaper then oem but exactly the same tint just more metal flake really pops all white looks nice for a little while but have to clear the shit out of it to keep it looking nice longer