Sign in to follow this  

Used Tires.

I'm going to need new tires very shortly, and being the pennypincher I am, would it hurt to buy used tires for my 01' 250? I only ride trails and I'm not going to be riding much due to the snow during the winter. There are some decent deals on rim/tire combos on ebay and the tread looks good on the tires. I've already seen a deal on a front wheel/tire combo for $35. Should I jump on it?

Buy you some studs and stud up the worn out tires you have right now since It will be snowing soon and you can still ride if you stud them up.

Buy you some studs and stud up the worn out tires you have right now since It will be snowing soon and you can still ride if you stud them up.

Not a bad idea.:lol: Gives me something to do in the garage. I just need it to snow already damn it! We had one snow fall here in PA. Around early October, 6 INCHES!!!!! IN OCTOBER! Haven't had anything since so I want to hold off with studding until I know there will be snow for sure.

+1 on having a spare set of wheels set up for the snow --

Here's the way i look at tires other wise though ---- i don't get a lot of time to ride, maybe 2-3 times a month maximum when im lucky --- i don't want to have a bad time because i tried to make my tires last a bit longer. I buy tires for the conditions i ride in, try to catch them on sale , and everything is good\

I am not talking about changing tires every 2 rides like a billionaire playboy or anything though , far from it, -- my tires typically last about 25 hours and its usually time for a new rear -- fronts last twice as long

Not worth it for me to go with used stuff ----- unless its to make ice/snow tires out of

If you are not racing and just recreational riding, you can find some good deals on used tires for next to nothing. I know as a mx racer once my tires start getting rounded on the knobby's I replace them. I sell my used tires for $10 bucks to guys who just fool around at the pits and they still have a lot of life left. I'm sure you can find some local guys that do the same. You just have to ask what type of tire it is, soft, medium, hard, etc.

Not a bad idea.:lol: Gives me something to do in the garage. I just need it to snow already damn it! We had one snow fall here in PA. Around early October, 6 INCHES!!!!! IN OCTOBER! Haven't had anything since so I want to hold off with studding until I know there will be snow for sure.

I know how you feel we usually have a good bit of snow by now but it was in the 60s all week here. If you do stud them try not to ride anywhere rocky or it will take the edge off them pretty quick. A bunch of people made a circle track on the lake by my house last winter but I never got to ride it because my bike was down. Then the :):moon: dnr decided to give everyone tickets for riding out there after they sold them all permits to ride. worthless fat bastards:foul:

I see there's a lot of PA/MD people here. I'm going to pitch my mechanic whom I've bought several $10 take-offs from his kid's racing career. The trailing edge of the knobs are rounded, but other than that, they look like new tires. Each time I buy "just one" he always asks me if I want more cause he's got PLENTY!

If you're really trying to squeeze that penny, give him a ring. Cycle-Tech in Lewisberry, PA. It's not worth it to ship them, but if you're local it probably is.

Unfortunately, they're off-road 18" rear only, so there's only a few bikes we have these work for.