Sign in to follow this  

The Perfect Trail Bike Does Not Exist

I came off a modern ktm300 xc 2 stroke to a 2001 cr250 2 stroke. With the Honda I have no overheating problems, and can lug it around all day. For the price and super reliability it is an excellant choice to get the "perfect trail bike". You can pick them up cheap and add mods for cheap (lots of used parts available). I test road about 5 different kdx bikes thinking to purchase one but the better ride of the Honda won out. A lot of guys are even buying the 2002+ cr250 frames and putting in the 2001 cr250 motor, (check out the 2 stroke honda forum) If you have the dough buy a 2012 ktm smoker. If you dont, buy the Honda and you will still be able to smoke the ktm

I have owned several CR250's from the early 90's all the way up to 04 and I've always been a huge fan of these bikes but to insinuate that they won't over heat, will pull as well off of the bottom in technical riding and will out run the 300Xc's is all very false. No matter how you want to paint your picture all I can say is KTM has their shit together when it comes to 2t's. For the longest time I rode Honda & Suzuki smokers thinking they were great until I bought my first KTM in 06.

Now I'm not knocking the CR's at all since I still respect these bikes a lot for their durability but there is no comparison when it's matched against an orange XC smoker from any year 2000 up in hard enduro riding.

Really, it doesn't matter as much to me whether the bike is a 2-stroke, 4-stroke, liquid-cooled, or air-cooled.

As long as the bike has a good feel to me while riding it, I'll be happy.

Personally, how lucky or unlucky a rider is with his equipment often has to do with his own habits and personality.

I've seen guys that are prone to mechanical trouble have more issues than guys who don't, be it riding dirt bikes or cars or whatever.

There will always be discussions about the elusive perfect dirt bike.

Right now, my 2009 WR-250F feels as close to that as I can remember having because it's a very well-balanced bike - it's got enough power (and the spread of power is quite amazing), good handling, a light and nimble feel to it, and it has straight-line stability and excellent suspension, particularly the rear.

I have owned several CR250's from the early 90's all the way up to 04 and I've always been a huge fan of these bikes but to insinuate that they won't over heat, will pull as well off of the bottom in technical riding and will out run the 300Xc's is all very false. No matter how you want to paint your picture all I can say is KTM has their shit together when it comes to 2t's. For the longest time I rode Honda & Suzuki smokers thinking they were great until I bought my first KTM in 06.

Now I'm not knocking the CR's at all since I still respect these bikes a lot for their durability but there is no comparison when it's matched against an orange XC smoker from any year 2000 up in hard enduro riding.

Will say that the proverbially dogged 02-07 CR250R two stroke is a really great woods motor once jetted (stock TMX sucks). Biggest advantage on this bike for woods riding is the butter smooth electric power valve. No mechanical jolt and gobs of tractable power. :lol:

Which makes sense since we do not agree on things.
It is a love it or leave it engine.

I happen to like it. It's a great ice race engine that does woods pretty well. Like a YZ, they like a leaner slide to really run right.

If you don't have the mechanical skills and the riding knowledge to build your own "Perfect Trail Bike" then you will have to settle for what someone else says is "just right"! Since almost no two riders anywhere ride exactly the same, it is impossible to expect one version of a Trail Bike to work for everyone, much less more than its owner/builder!

Like the one guy said, his Pennsylvania "trails" are hard and FAST! Others don't ever get out of 3rd gear on a trail ride! Impossible for ONE bike to be a perfect fit for all conditions and all riders. Air cooled, water cooled, 2-smoker or thumper, 200lbs. or 280lbs. It all depends on what you want and how you ride and how deep are your pockets. If you ride different terrain and different speeds you may need two or more bikes to have the "right set-up" for each riding situation.

Enjoy the Ride!

Swiss

Not my "kumbaya moment"! Did it work for you?

Swiss:D

not really, if I could have a 450 that weighed 150 pounds that would be a kumbaya moment

not really, if I could have a 450 that weighed 150 pounds that would be a kumbaya moment

If it weighed 150 pounds would it still need to be 450cc?:lol:

yes, or 250cc two stroke, that would work too, I would prefer that, less maint and smoother power

Everyone is right. Look outside of Honda, four strokes, and air cooled. A KDX 200/220 is nearly exactly what you sound like you want with liquid cooled that never overheats, quiet and toned down for trails, decent ish suspencion, and great amount of power if you choose to use it. If not, put in first or second gear and you're still fine.

the perfect trail bike for me could be a full dress harley road king, if that's what i happened to be riding at the time. i don't understand a lot of these complaints i see on here about different bikes, i ride a lot of different bikes and like them all, no problems here.

people used to ride trails on 400 lb dirtbikes that had 3 inches of travel, i would feel like a big candy ass to complain about any modern bike, they are ALL good.

if you wanna ride a 400 pound bike, there's lots to choose from, knock yourself out

if you wanna ride a 400 pound bike, there's lots to choose from, knock yourself out

i do, quite often. i have a blast every single time too. :lol:

if you had a 450 that weighed 150 lbs, i would be trying to steal your technology.

I had an 09/10 300xc, and have the 2001 Honda (jetted & carbed right) its definitely comparable in low end pull. What I am also trying to say is that a person can get a comparable ride and have a competitive bike on a cheap budget and the cr250 is a really good choice.

P:S: Also the 2001 CR corners better (with minor mods)

:lol:

3 stroke will settle this whole argument. TO HELL WITH PHYSICS!

they already have them they started with the yz400f