Sign in to follow this  

What is involved in a replate and who does it well?

I was curious about what is involved in a 2-stroke cylinder re-plate job and who does the work very well? I don't need any re plating done at the moment but I would like to know way ahead of time so I know who to send my cylinder to. This way I would not be scrambling to find a shop and perhaps make some bad decisions.

Is the old plating removed?

What is done to the bore prior to plating to remove any scratches or gouges?

Are the gouges filled in with weld then bored, the plated perhaps thicker?

From what I understand, plating is not all that thick. Is that the case or not?

Is it the same plating as OEM?

Is there is finishing process after plating?

What does it cost?

Perhaps these are some bumb questions but I would like to know what goes on with my jug.

The old plating is first removed. Then if there are scratches into the base material the cylinder can either be welded and remachined, or bored out (if it is bored then a big bore piston will need to be used). Then the cylinder is replated to the appropriate thickness. Most places use the same plating as OEM, though they may have slightly different varients of it or vary their process slightly. Once the cylinder is plated it is honed with a special hone to get the proper crosshatch.

The plating is thin, but it does add thickness, so the unplated cylinder needs to be slightly larger than the finished demension so that when it is plated the bore will be the correct diamter for proper piston-cylinder clearance.

+2 for powerseal. My dealer i work at uses them and they did a lot of cylinders for us. And when the customer come back to order parts, there is nothing but good and excellent comment about them.

Or may i suggest maybe an Eric Gore replate or possibly big bore? He does great work also!!!

http://www.eric-gorr.com/