Sign in to follow this  

What motor for my RMZ chassis?

I'm not sure which forum to put this in so please move it if needed.

I have a 07 RMZ450 that had a tranny failure and on my way to work today I for some reason thought to myself, "I could probably find a whole 2 stroke motor for the same cost as it's going to be to fix the 450."

I'm going to start researching and see what motor I want to throw in it. My biggest concern is durability. This is going to be my desert bike and getting stranded miles from camp in the middle of the winter or summer is not fun.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. It's going to be a slow build as money is super tight right now but I want to start gathering info and see which motor will be the best candidate.

Thanx!

I would go with either the KX or CR 500 for the swap. The KX has a powervalve, so there are a few more moving parts than the CR but it makes the powerband a bit smoother. 500 2 strokes run at lower rpm's, so they tend to wear a lot slower than smaller bore bikes. They also make monster torque numbers and can tractor around anywhere, but then still rip up top to get you going out in the open desert.

The Suzuki motor would be cool except that I've known a couple guys that had those quadzillas an it takes a pretty penny to get those motors to stay together. I'm leaning toward the Honda as I've seen a couple different builds that look absolutely gorgeous and I don't think you get a more reliable engine. I haven't completely ruled out the kawi. I guess it'll just depend what I can find once I get some cash.

Anyone wanna buy a rmz450 motor with a broken main shaft?

Best bet is to part out the 450 and buy a 250 2-stroke if that's what you want. If your 450 was a current ('11 or '12) frame it might be cool, but I bet it would still be very expensive.

Best bet is to part out the 450 and buy a 250 2-stroke if that's what you want. If your 450 was a current ('11 or '12) frame it might be cool, but I bet it would still be very expensive.

I plan on parting out the motor. The only problem I have with parting everything is that I hate selling on ebay. The last things I sold on ebay I ended up getting screwed so hard on ebay fees and shipping that I made 0 money. Well actually I let my girlfriend handle everything so that is probably why I got screwed so hard.

And also I don't really want a 250. If I were to get rid of everything and get another bike it would be a KTM 300. Which are hard to find and anything newer than a 06 is like 5k...

Im actually working on a cr500 into a 2007 rmz 450 chassis right now, i just rebuilt the motor and i'm making a shifter kart outa the 450 motor so the frame conversion is kinda on the back burner for now, i know that a 2007 rm 250 motor fits in the 2007 rmz chassis with minimal mods to the frame ( you dont have to raise the y part of the frame) and a cr500 motor fits into a 2007 rm250 chassis very well too, the y in the frame has enough clearance. i dont know how the cr500 motor fits in the rmz chassis as of now but i'm guessing that it must fit pretty easly. so the cr500 porbably would be a good choice. let me know how hard it is to mod the rest of the parts like the tank and such, good luck!!

PS. i definatly am interested in some rmz parts, mabey a parts motor if the price is right, even if the tranny's toast. PM me with what parts arnt messed up and I'll prolly buy some stuff

Im actually working on a cr500 into a 2007 rmz 450 chassis right now, i just rebuilt the motor and i'm making a shifter kart outa the 450 motor so the frame conversion is kinda on the back burner for now, i know that a 2007 rm 250 motor fits in the 2007 rmz chassis with minimal mods to the frame ( you dont have to raise the y part of the frame) and a cr500 motor fits into a 2007 rm250 chassis very well too, the y in the frame has enough clearance. i dont know how the cr500 motor fits in the rmz chassis as of now but i'm guessing that it must fit pretty easly. so the cr500 porbably would be a good choice. let me know how hard it is to mod the rest of the parts like the tank and such, good luck!!

That's awesome to hear! I'm sure you will get your build on before I get mine on... My YZ still needs cash thrown at it and my kids aren't getting any cheaper... yada yada cry cry boohoo!!!

Keep me posted on how your build is going and when I get around to starting mine I will definetely keep you updated. I imagine the hardest part is going to be chopping up the front of the frame as I've seen pictures of another bike and it looked like he had to move the Y.

I think the easiest thing to fit would be a 250 two stroke motor. The 500 swap would be cool, but maybe more than you need?

Suzuki made a rm500 back in the day, there is already heaps of honda and kawi conversions out there but i havnt seen a rmz500 yet yours could b the first

Suzuki made a rm500 back in the day, there is already heaps of honda and kawi conversions out there but i havnt seen a rmz500 yet yours could b the first

As I recall those were only 4 speed bikes, making them less versatile than the other 500’s. Parts would also be harder to find than CR or KX parts. A KTM 550 engine would make a sweet ride!

CoKTM

As far as I know they were air cooled which I definitely don't want.

I thought about just using a rm250 motor but I could just pick up a rm250 for 1500-2500. And this is going to be a desert bike it might go to the track once or twice but I'm really looking for some arm wrenching hill climbing power