Sign in to follow this  

Should I get This CRF450R

Well i currently have a 04 Cr250. I have always ridden two stroke 250's i dont reace nor am i hard on the bikes. I have an opportunity to trade my 04 CR250 for a fully rebuilt 05 CRF450 Hes a motorcycle mechanic etc and knows what hes doing. He has done everything inside the motor, rod, bearings, piston, rings, bearings, valves, springs, timing chain..everything. My question is are the Honda 450's as reliable as other makes? Especially more reliable than the crf250's? I like the two stroke but flipped a 450 to make some money but not before riding it, and loved the fluid power, good idling etc. Am i making a bad decision getting rid of my 2-stroke? Will i be seeing Constant Maintanance, valve issues, and failures? Or as long as i service it well should it last? The 450 has new graphics, pro taper triples, pro circuit full exhaust, brand new tires never even been ridden on, over-sized radiators, new pro taper fatbars, stainless steel front brake line, and prob some more i cant remember. Does this sound like a good idea?

Don't do it. You don't need the headaches of a 4 stroke. Hondas like to eat valves. I traded my 2 stroke for a 4 stroke kawi 450 and the bike ran great, I tore it down to put in a new piston and the motor was completely shot. Needed a new piston, cylinder, crank, rod, valves, etc. Bill would have been $2000. What did I do? Sold it for a grand and bought a 2002 cr250. Couldn't be happier.

Thing is the Kawi ran great and started on 2 kicks everytime. The 2 stroke is way more fun to ride and is much lighter. You don't race pro, you don't need a 4 stroke.

Yeah i understand, and thats what i have been told, i just have never owned a 4-Stroke and really liked it when i rode one. And it was way easier on the trials b/c it idled and didnt wanna stall all the time.

Put a heavier flywheel weight on and you won't stall. I have friends who all ride 4 strokes. I have ridden them myself and I know they are great bikes. However, for the cost and fun factor, 2 strokes cannot be beat. Plus they are way easier to work on.

Yeah, i understand, i just have never experienced a 4-stroke and liked the way it rode when i did. It made me get back on my 250 and not enjoy it as much, it kinda lost its fun factor..

Ok that's cool. Try it, but just be aware that it's going to cost a lot more to maintain. If you can deal with the cost factor, go for it. Good luck.

Yeah, thats what i have been told, and the maintenance is not the problem. Im just worried about catastrophic failures etc. Adjusting valves regularly is not problem, im more so looking to find out if catastrophic failures are more common with the hondas vs. others?

I would say go for it, if you like how the bike feels then why not. I would only question the rebuild, does guy back up his work? Honda's are very reliable if maintained properly. If the bike has SS valves then your good. The TI coated valves will wear quicker, thus having to shim then eventually replace. But other than that, the 05 is great bike. I had owned one my self. It was my first 4 Stroke. I was coming from a '03 YZ250, and I feel in love with the monster torque in the low end from the 450. Good luck!

Ciao,

Mike

You will not be too upset if you trade. The low end power and traction is awesome. It will weight a bit more and be needing valve checks. But the downsides are few. I still have a yz125 as my play bike and loaner. But the 450 is my favorite. Even over my 2001 cr250 that I had before it. It seems like I have to touch the clutch less and can focus on riding more.

Yeah i guess i will just have to decide what to do, i may just wait until i am in the position to afford a rebuild if necessary. I may keep the 2T until i graduate and hopefully find a job :/ I do like not having to constantly rev up and clutch the whole time while riding though. I may just go look and see how it runs..

Edited by Paczowski123

Sounds like you'd be very happy with the bullet proof, low maintenance, reliable, air cooled XR400. You just don't know it yet.

XR's are dogs IMO and brutally heavy. Basically all the downsides of a 4 stroke but not as much power.

My 98 cr250 is plenty for me. Plus I figure if I get really good on it, imagine what I could do on a 4 fiddy. I'm like you though I love the 2 stroke power band, ease of maintenance, smell, and sound...If I get a 450, then I get a 450 but not by getting rid of my 2t... I already sold my 98 2t 4 years ago and just found it again a couple months back by the grace of god.

Lesson learned.

I sold my 1996 Cr 250 for a 2005 Crf 450r and I dont regret my decision at all.

The wide powerband on the 450 and that throaty grunt is just way better IMO. I love the tractable power and the thing just rips.

The only thing maintenance wize that I noticed with my 450 is the water pump tends to go here and there. I had to rebuild mine once this summer, but its only about $100 in parts and you can easily do it yourself.

Other then that, the 05' Hondas do eat stock valves, when your due for your first valve job throw in some SS kibble white valves and springs and it should be up to par with the other bike brands. Oh and my rear spokes seemed to always come loose (probably all that torque) so I put excel oversized spokes and its been good since.

Keep up with your regular maintenance schedule and the bike will be good to you! :lol:

Thats what im thinking, I got on my bike last weekend after spending two weekend on the 450 and didnt like it, Matter of fact the whole day i only rode it two or three times, and was tired, fore arm pumped and upset with it. I get on a 450 and the pump disappears, im way more fluid and more comfortable. I am a maintenance freak and a super neat freak so i always take care of my bikes, changing the fluid every two or so rides, air filter ever ride, and valves take 20 mins to check especially on a honda so id be doing that very regularly i am not hard on em or race, so thats why im thinking i may try one out.

Plus most people accept for the people who are actually educated about bikes, or know about 2strokes give them a bad rep and are always looking to buy 4T's. i sold my 450 in a week my 2T has been posted numerous times with very little attention, and at a great price too. Everyone says the same thing: i dont want the hastle of a 2 stroke when really people are learning the hastle is 4T's who have owned them. I just have never owned one and want to learn the hard way i guess so im moving in the opposite direction of everyone else.

Sounds like you know exactly what you're getting with a 4t. So, the only way to know which one you'll like best is to ride/own the 450 for a while. Gain the experience and then decide. There are plenty of CR250's out there, if you want to go back in a year.

I've owned both and am sticking with my CR250 (from my own reasons). But if I hadn't gone to the thumpers for several years, I would be craving one right now.

The opportunity's there, grab it.