Sign in to follow this  

Some more premix oil questions. Sorry I had to ask.

I apologize in advance for starting yet another oil question. I know there are a ton of them out there but I am not really asking, well sort of, about which oil to use specifically but which type of oil to use for given situations.

1. If a bottle of premix states let's say 50:1 and you want to mix at 32:1 is it ok to use that oil at 32:1? Examples Golden Spectol, Am soil, etc.

2. Is it ok to use a synthetic for breaking in a fresh top end rebuild? I heard/ read that it will not allow the rings and piston to break in properly.

3. I read that 2T oils and 4 stroke oils functions are different thus 2T oils do not need to be synthetic, is this true? This is not a statement it's a question. The following are statements I found in a few places. 4 Stroke oil is used as a lubricant and as a means to remove heat from an engine and is not consumed. Since it is not consumed as is subject to high heat it needs to avoid being broken down and synthetics would be a good choice. Two stroke oil acts as a lubricant only and is consumed, since it does not need to resist breaking down from heat since the crankcase temperature is rather cool, thus the bearings are cool, due to the fuel air mixture and not the oil. So if this is true and if this is the case, then why would 2 stroke oils need to be synthetic? Is this only a marketing ploy or are there reasons for this?

OK now here is a really dumb one that everyone want to ask but are afraid to look stupid.

4. Which 2 stroke oils smell the best?

5. Which oil would be good for the following riding situations? I do mostly woods trial type riding (no MX) at a beginner to moderate level. Rarely getting into the power band for too long. Specifically to keep the spooge to a minimum (so it doesn't get all over my rear brake) and keeps the power valves clean without fouling plugs?

Ive used Maxima Castor base 927 @ 40:1 for years with zero issues and it smells like sugar :lol: Dont know much about your other questions/statements

Hey man!!

As for premix ratios I usually obey what they say but not all the time. My 07 yz250 I ran 50:1 and it ran.absolutely perfect. But as the weather started to cool down usually went to like 40:1 or something. But heres the thing, the way I look it is that you should run for what your bike is jetted for. If its jetted for 32:1 then run 32:1 but that's my opinion.

2) I work at my local Yamaha dealer and whenever I rebuilt my.top end my mechanic said this to me. You can still run synthetic to break the motor but the oil.may not seat the rings properly and you may have engine issues down the road. So I would stick to running non synthetic just for break then make.the switch to a synthetic.

3) As for the synthetic oil.for a two stroke, my only guess is that it would.burn better? Someone help.me out here. But as for the four strokes if you.run non synthetic oil, once the oil.is heated up to a certain temperature it tend to break down ans thin out. Which could possibly result in your clutch slipping and not very smooth shifting etc etc.

As for using synthetic four stroke oil the oil stays the same viscosity. Or the same.thickness and it doesn't break down as quickly as non synthetic would. By using non synthetic you would get smoother shifting and less clutch slippage. But if you go.synthetic on a four strike I wouldn't recommend switching back to a non synthetic.

4) now in my opinion the best smelling oil would probably have to be amsoil, castrol 927, and motul 800 I believe.

5) I.haven't had any problems with amsoil and I've never fouled a.plug. but the main thing is that you.bike has to be jetted right. If its.not jetted properly you.can be fouling plugs left and right.

Just my two cents

Thanks man and god bless

Alex

• Like 1

I use Maxima 927 at 32:1 in my son's bike. I know AMSOIL suggests 50:1, but if your bike calls for 32:1 or 40:1 that's what i would mix it at.

For me best ratio for yz 250 for trail, woods and sand is 32:1, I use motul 800 or yamalube 2r but i don´t like smell....

Best smell come with premix oils that contains castor oil.

I apologize in advance for starting yet another oil question. I know there are a ton of them out there but I am not really asking, well sort of, about which oil to use specifically but which type of oil to use for given situations.

1. If a bottle of premix states let's say 50:1 and you want to mix at 32:1 is it ok to use that oil at 32:1? Examples Golden Spectol, Am soil, etc.

I would mix per your manufactuere's reccomendations over the bottle's. Example, I'm running 24:1 based on the condition of my internals, but motorex suggest 40:1-50:1. Remember you have to jet for your mixture.

2. Is it ok to use a synthetic for breaking in a fresh top end rebuild? I heard/ read that it will not allow the rings and piston to break in properly.

I think this is an old wives tale, but I could be full of it. I've broke in engines a few times with 927 which is part synthetic. I have 250 psi dynamic compression, so I doubt it affects ring seal.

OK now here is a really dumb one that everyone want to ask but are afraid to look stupid.

4. Which 2 stroke oils smell the best?

I believe it's any castor based oil, like Maxima Castor 927.

5. Which oil would be good for the following riding situations? I do mostly woods trial type riding (no MX) at a beginner to moderate level. Rarely getting into the power band for too long. Specifically to keep the spooge to a minimum (so it doesn't get all over my rear brake) and keeps the power valves clean without fouling plugs?

Anything will work fine. You'll get hundreds of different opinions, and they are all right. The oil nowadays is pretty good. Pick something you like and has a good price.

But.....I prefer Motorex cross power. I ran 927 for a while, and I was just to surprised how little oil was covering my internals when I tore it down.

Hope this helps.

Ratio all depends on jetting IMO... Like RC said, mix oil at your preference and jet accordingly..

It is best to mix at manufacture recommendation. They did extensive testing to determine what ratio your bike should run best at. You still have to jet properly depending on outside temp and any mods you may have done.

Ive used Maxima Castor base 927 @ 40:1 for years with zero issues and it smells like sugar :lol: Dont know much about your other questions/statements

Want to buy some? It has gummed up my powervalve in 20 hrs. Back to Motul 800.

Anyone use the Maxima K2? I was thinking of switching from 927.

I have heard it is good

I have been experimenting with oil for ten years on and off. The answer to question #5 in my humble opinion is either Amsoil Interceptor or Motul 710. THe 710 is on the pricey side but hard to beat. I have a bottle of Amsoil left. I am going to use it but thinking of switching. Not sure yet its oh so close.:lol:

#2 synthetics burn cleaner. #3 Klotz Supertechniplate i think... Castor 927 smells good but gives me a headache? Never tried Ipone, hear it smells of Strawberries? I don`t have enuf 4-stroke knowledge to comment on them. Hope i helped you out some.:lol:

Anyone use the Maxima K2? I was thinking of switching from 927.

K2 is a very good full synthetic oil but in my experience Maxima Super-M works better. Super-M is semi-synthetic and is a thinner viscosity. It burns much cleaner and causes less spooge. It is also slightly cheaper.

I have been using Amsoil dominator 50:1. After rebuild with a new complete crank and cylinder replating. In a 06 yz250 I was thinking about going with a richer mixture and possibly going to maxima 927.

The manual recommends a 30:1 with a yammy brand. Does anyone go by the actual book?

I was sponsored by amsoil back in the ran their premix at 40:1 thru my yz125 with no problems . When I had my Yz250, I ran redline thru it at 40:1 as well with 103 octane race fuel and it ran like a champ . The previous owner said thats he had it jetted for so that what I stuck with .I tried normal 93 octane once with it and pinged real bad and wasn't as crisp. I always heard mix reviews about redline but my top end and power valve always always super clean when I rain and and saw no signs of premature wear anywhere . Plus is smelled awesome !