Is this mounting of my meter O.K.??? (Pic. included)

My bike is a 2007 YZ250FW.

Photo0323.jpg

I have seen several pictures of mounting the meters in different locations. I have even seen where they are mounted under the seat on the rear fender for convenience of when doing air filter maintenance. Even though this re-settable HardLine meter is not the "tach" version that reads RPM's, I still wanted the meter in plain sight for ease of seeing how long each ride was by the "timer 1 mode".

I understand that it is a matter of preference in where one chooses to mount them; however, I was just wondering if the meter has more of a chance of getting damaged where I have it, versus say under the seat on the rear fender?

I don't ride woods or brush style riding; I mainly ride short, single line, track endurance riding where my path is clear of tree limbs and what not. The homemade plate that I have it mounted on, is stainless and pre-treated with a primer and several coats of a quality paint to deter rust, just in case?. The meter itself, of course, is waterproof - so no worries there.

So....... any thoughts or recommendation warnings from personal experiences against having the meter mounted in this way for the type of riding I mentioned, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance fellow TT'ers!!

Well, at least if you case it hard, you'll have the time it happened imprinted on your face lol.

Honestly - can't understand why people run without a decent bar pad, you're just asking for facial damage if crap ever gets wrong, at least with a bar pad you got some protection.

Mine's ( a DRD Meter) mounted to that bolt that you see at the bottom of your pic - the one that holds the gastank down, the bracket linked lets you connect it to the bolt.

http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/DRD-HOUR-METER-BRACKET-TANK-MOUNT

You can make your own bracket, just cut and drill a piece of steel or whatever you have handy to mount under the tank bolt and bend it up at each side then flat and keep it wide enough that you can drill a couple of small holes to mount your meter thorugh.

Well, at least if you case it hard, you'll have the time it happened imprinted on your face lol.

Honestly - can't understand why people run without a decent bar pad, you're just asking for facial damage if crap ever gets wrong, at least with a bar pad you got some protection.

Mine's ( a DRD Meter) mounted to that bolt that you see at the bottom of your pic - the one that holds the gastank down, the bracket linked lets you connect it to the bolt.

http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/DRD-HOUR-METER-BRACKET-TANK-MOUNT

You can make your own bracket, just cut and drill a piece of steel or whatever you have handy to mount under the tank bolt and bend it up at each side then flat and keep it wide enough that you can drill a couple of small holes to mount your meter thorugh.

I understand where you are coming from matt4x4. I have been taking it really easy since my almost full rebuild this past June. Come this spring, I will likely relocate it. I almost always have the bar pad on it, depending on how hard I plan on twisting the throttle, and whether or not I am changing the position of the bars because of track conditions or my arms are just tired of being at the same elevation.

I (knock on wood) have never got up close and personal with the bar mounts, and yes I am aware that it could happen, even at slower speeds than one would think. I do have a decent bar pad that will go back on if I choose to play in the snow this winter, I just more or less wanted to make sure the meter was going to last more than a week. I would of hated to of had to pull that thing off with the dual sided tape they provide should something of went wrong with it because I didn't have the other type of mounting bracket that you mentioned.

I just get so anxious to ride sometimes, that it appears that I am being lazy and unsafe - but never, ever without a helmet. If I cannot have full protective gear outside of the helmet, I twist the throttle a different way - if you know what I'm saying.

Thank-you for the safety issue concern my fellow rider?.

Here's the one I put on the YZ250 I just rebuilt. So far, it seems like a pretty decent place to put it, out of the way but still easy to read. I originally put it on the CDI box because it was nice and flat, but soon figured out that the fork was hitting it when I turned. This is just stuck on with the adhesive pad that came with it.

If you want to keep yours mounted there, you can always cut a hole in your bar pad and put it on over the meter. That would probably protect it, too.

Here's the one I put on the YZ250 I just rebuilt. So far, it seems like a pretty decent place to put it, out of the way but still easy to read. I originally put it on the CDI box because it was nice and flat, but soon figured out that the fork was hitting it when I turned. This is just stuck on with the adhesive pad that came with it.

If you want to keep yours mounted there, you can always cut a hole in your bar pad and put it on over the meter. That would probably protect it, too.

That is what I wanted to do; however, the stock pad will never fit over the plate I have there now, and on top of that, the outside piece will never stretch all the way around the actual pad now - well it will; but, what I mean, is that the plates' edges may cut into that outside wrap.

If I do leave it there, I will have to look for some type of aftermarket setup, and even then, I still may be looking at having to do some cutting - unless I get lucky and run across something specifically made to go over the current setup.

Do they even make a mod for a mod??.

Maybe I could cut the pad down the center long ways and make it work like your suggesting; but, I don't want to have to glue it down on the plate because that would be a pain to get to the bolts all the time.

EDIT: Is there a word I was suppose to click on to see your setup, because a picture didn't come through?

Edited by nokickstandsallowed
Added thought.

This is how I mounted my hr meter in my older KTM. I just cut it really tight to fit in the foam and then the bar pad wrap was cut a little smaller so it couldnt come out. It worked perfectly. This is a internet pic but you get the point.....

tto_bar_pad_embedded_w600.jpg

Same as 762SPRs mounting postion on his YZ, mine is on me new KTM.

2012KTM250xc008.jpg

Edited by Pumpkin450sxf

Why did you not use the double sided tape and just stick it to the side of the steering head?

Well, honestly, I had read that some meters were lost using the double sided adhesive. I know that is usually because the surface was not prepped properly that some of those incidents occurred; but, I didn't want to chance looking down there and seeing almost $40 dollars missing ?

I also read somewhere, that even with a properly prepped surface, that some meters still fell off - I'm not a gambling man when it comes to parts or the bike anymore - those days are over with this economy. Plus, I didn't like the idea of having to look that much further down for a split second to see if it was still there after every jump.

I wear contacts and have excellent vision in all directions with them, but you get the idea of what I mean. Once I get in a zone, I rarely look at the neck of the bike - I'm looking 50 yards beyond where I'm currently at on the track along with the current terrain by peripheral vision?.

I may do the rear fender mount under the seat routine - just depends on whether or not I can make it look better where it is currently mounted.

This is how I mounted my hr meter in my older KTM. I just cut it really tight to fit in the foam and then the bar pad wrap was cut a little smaller so it couldnt come out. It worked perfectly. This is a internet pic but you get the point.....

Sure do - Thanks!

Derp... I just forgot to put in the picture:bonk:

img0498uy.jpg

No problem - Thanks also!

I was a little concerned, too. Especially after I had already stuck it to the CDI ad pulled it off, then re-stuck it there! Just clean the surface really well (I used brakleen and a paper towel).

Even if it does come off, it it still secured by the wire though. I guess if you had a really long section of wire, it could dangle and get snagged. The way I have mine setup, even if it came off, it would just hand from that metal loop until I noticed it. I doubt it could get snagged from there. I also have all of the wired cable tied or taped together, so IF it managed to get loose of that loop, it would be cable tied further down.

I also warped the pickup wire that is coiled around the ignition wire with electrical tape so it wouldn't come unwound. I didn't feel like splicing the wire either to I just folded the extra up the way it was in the packaging and warped that in electrical tape, then cable tied the bundle to the frame. It ended up looking real nice and works just as good! I'll definitely be putting one of these on my other bikes when I rebuild them. All bikes should come stock with an hour meter on them! I bet it would save a lot of failures!

I was a little concerned, too. Especially after I had already stuck it to the CDI ad pulled it off, then re-stuck it there! Just clean the surface really well (I used brakleen and a paper towel).

Even if it does come off, it it still secured by the wire though. I guess if you had a really long section of wire, it could dangle and get snagged. The way I have mine setup, even if it came off, it would just hand from that metal loop until I noticed it. I doubt it could get snagged from there. I also have all of the wired cable tied or taped together, so IF it managed to get loose of that loop, it would be cable tied further down.

I also warped the pickup wire that is coiled around the ignition wire with electrical tape so it wouldn't come unwound. I didn't feel like splicing the wire either to I just folded the extra up the way it was in the packaging and warped that in electrical tape, then cable tied the bundle to the frame. It ended up looking real nice and works just as good! I'll definitely be putting one of these on my other bikes when I rebuild them. All bikes should come stock with an hour meter on them! I bet it would save a lot of failures!

Sounds like you have all the extra precautions in place to prevent losing the meter?.

I have mine tacked down with the two screws, and just feel a little better about it. I cut my pad to fit the meter; however, I'm a little disappointed in my bar pad wrap. It is so use to being wrapped around a full pad, that it appears a little deformed. I'll edit this post, and get a picture of it posted here in a couple of minutes.

At least I can keep my face from being deformed now if something causes me to want to taste the handlebars - ?.

Photo0329.jpg

I know, flame me because it doesn't look as professional as the one in a previous post in this thread; but, at least I have some facial protection there now, should I have a mishap. Don't get me wrong, I care that it doesn't look that great - I just am not sure where the final positioning of the meter will be. So this was just a quick fix until I decide where I want it, plus I wanted a new bar pad anyway - so it was no loss to do this quick precautionary fix.

Added picture.

Sounds like you have all the extra precautions in place to prevent losing the meter?.

I have mine tacked down with the two screws, and just feel a little better about it. I cut my pad to fit the meter; however, I'm a little disappointed in my bar pad wrap. It is so use to being wrapped around a full pad, that it appears a little deformed. I'll edit this post, and get a picture of it posted here in a couple of minutes.

At least I can keep my face from being deformed now if something causes me to want to taste the handlebars - ?.

Photo0329.jpg

I know, flame me because it doesn't look as professional as the one in a previous post in this thread; but, at least I have some facial protection there now, should I have a mishap. Don't get me wrong, I care that it doesn't look that great - I just am not sure where the final positioning of the meter will be. So this was just a quick fix until I decide where I want it, plus I wanted a new bar pad anyway - so it was no loss to do this quick precautionary fix.

Looks good, a lot better and safer then before!

i mount mine like matt4x4 does,then its out of harms way.i just used a small peice of aluminum and a slightly longer top gas tank bolt.and @762spr,all of the new efi bikes have a hr meter that you can acess via the ecm.you just have to have the tool.peace and wheelies.

i mount mine like matt4x4 does,then its out of harms way.i just used a small peice of aluminum and a slightly longer top gas tank bolt.and @762spr,all of the new efi bikes have a hr meter that you can acess via the ecm.you just have to have the tool.peace and wheelies.

Great, another reason to lament not having a FI bike:foul:?

Looks good, a lot better and safer then before!

Right! - Thank you.

I would rather be safe, than have to worry about how I'm going to fix facial lacerations or whatever facial damage I would incur. The bike can always be fixed, sometimes the human body cannot.

Great, another reason to lament not having a FI bike:foul:?

Hey, no worries - sometimes we hate our bikes for what they cannot do, and sometimes we hate them for what they can do to us if we do not take the right precautions.

You stated: "All bikes should come stock with an hour meter on them! I bet it would save a lot of failures!"

That is definitely true - but, our own failures to take certain precautions for our own safety, would be our own failures. I didn't want to become another statistic, so even if I would have had to use another brand name of bar pad, I wouldn't have minded one bit.?

Did you get the pad from the walls of your room? Just kidding man looks good!! I like it!

Ha, ha, Ha, ha - No, they wouldn't let me take those ones anymore because the other people in straight jackets could still hurt themselves in that room, if enough pads were missing.

They're coming to take me away

They're coming to take me away

They're coming to take me away......he, he - ho, ho - ha, ha!

Spell check doesn't like it, but I don't care - Ha, ha!

EDIT: Now spell check liked it?

Thanks though Swede!

It has been a long night in a room with no windows - HA!