Sign in to follow this  

Yamaha '01 Raptor 660, Power Loss Issue, suggestions needed

Happy_Holidays!

Just got back from making trax all over Glamis over TG. Weekend was problem free until the last day and coming here hoping for some ideas for diagnosing the following symptom:

After a couple hours of riding up and down dunes, mostly high revs in first and second gear, I got out on the flats with a lot of those lumps that keep you lopeing up and down like a mechanical bull ride (Smaller then hills, larger then washboards)

Mostly using 3rd or 4th gear... it was not long before the quad started to sputter and die. Similar I guess to the experiance you might have when running out of gas. ~ However, had half a tank left AND would start back up and run normally for several minutes more given the chance to cool down, then sputter, wheeze, die and no start till it cooled down a few minutes again.

One member in my party said a blown head gasket would do that but, I would think blown head gasket would have a consisntant power loss symptoms right? Plus signs of coolant in the oil etc? Another friend pointed me toward electrical but unsure where to start there. What do you guys think?

'01 660 Raptor, no new mods... only significant ones are jet kit, pipe, cut air box etc config which has worked well on other weekend long rides.

Thanks in advance!

i have the same problem.. it happens every time i take it out on the straight and open it up, when i slow down it starts to bog and sputter.. i have to turn it off and let it cool down and it starts back up like nothing happened. Im thinking i might need bigger pilots or maybe adjust my fuel level in the carb bowl

might be over heating the gas in the tank. causing the gas to boil and not feed the carbs properly. just my guess. they do run hot when you are on them consistantly.

Not sure if you already solved this...but I have had these symptoms before it and it was all due to the flow between the fuel tank and the carb being restricted. Would let it set and everything was okay until I put a big demand on it again. Make sure the tank filter, petcock and hoses are completely clean...and of course clean the carb too.

Edited by GOTTAROOST