Sign in to follow this  

Away for 30 years

A bid decision coming up as to what bike would be best for me. :lol:

30 years ago I was very good at Trials and some Enduro riding in the Mid-West. Now after doing the Quad and Jeep thing in the High Desert of AZ I'm now ready to get back on two-wheels.

I'm now 210lbs with a 32" inseam and find most bikes to be very tall. and have no seat! Further I will be riding in a terrain I'm very unfamiliar with, sand, rocks, boulders, etc. I understand that Sand is very similiar to Mud which I mastered many miles ago. The boulders are the same and my Trials riding experience will carry-over for that. However the head-size rocks on many trails have me concerned. :)

I would like to have a bike that can be street legal but AZ is very easy for Street Legal requiremets. Would like to have a e-start, happy button, for the obvious reasons. Will not purchase a new bike as I'm not into "new" as some are.

I have been searching for a while but nothing really say's buy me now.

Thanks for any advise you can give....

Im 5'7 and all bikes are tall. One thing that has changed is a thing called a grip seat. Those bastards are great for riding, not for getting on the bike. Anything newer will probably have one. Obviously this wont change your choice, but start stretching!

Im 5'7 and all bikes are tall. One thing that has changed is a thing called a grip seat. Those bastards are great for riding, not for getting on the bike. Anything newer will probably have one. Obviously this wont change your choice, but start stretching!

Good point about the stretching, I am shorter than you and I have no problems, but I workout and stretch. To take your point a little further, being in good shape makes a big difference especially if you are older(strength, flexibility and endurance are all key).

IMO modern dirtbikes 2T, 4T, Euro/Japan whatever all work, but I do think the modern dirtrider has to be in better shape if not to handle the weight than to handle the power.

Jumping on a bike like an xr400 may be a shock for someone who was used to a 250 pinger circa 1981... :lol::ride:

Edited by Chaconne
spell

KTM 450 EXC with a lowering kit. I know many guys who ride these bikes and they are very reliable and low maintenance for the performance you get. I would recommend the 2007 and prior models which have the "RFS" engine design...they tend to be a bit lower maintenance than the more current models. My second choice would be a WR450.