Sign in to follow this  

Honda's and there valves..

Okay I have an 08 crf250r. Best bike I have ever owned. I absolutely love the bike and it handles AMAZING. I race MX so I pound the sh*t out of it. The thing is, my freaking valves go like ever 20-30 hours. I can't even afford to keep up with it!! Especially when its like $500 every time they go! So I heard that with the 2010+ EFI bikes that the valves aren't a problem. I really like my 4 stroke but have honestly considered going to a 2 stroke cause of valve problems. Anyone wanna back that up or let me know what they have experienced? Thanks.

Your valves shouldn't go out that quickly no matter what. Make sure your air filter is clean and there's no way for dirt to get into the engine. Unless you're riding it like Barcia and bouncing off the limiter in the air constantly, you shouldn't have this problem. Maybe some other underlying issue with your engine's head/cam/timing chain?

Contrary to what many people believe the quick wearing valve issues with crf250s got a lot better after 05, and definitely by 08. They still of course can have valve issues, like any other four stroke motor.

MX kills MX bikes. Me and many of my friends have had catastrophic failures this year, 2 of them actually blew up their new YZ250 2-strokes so that's not a guarantee for sure!

i just rebuilt my freinds 2010,she had 44hrs on it and i had previously adjusted her valves due to a tight r.h. intake at 20.7 hrs.we went with new valves,and i re-cut the seats.i think the 2010 and newer hondas are better than previous years,but if you want a bike that has great valve life,you gotta go blue.peace and wheelies.

Yeah man it sucks I can't afford it! And I'm not riding it like barcia but I do hit the rev limiter alot haha. I do clean my air fliter before every ride and get a new one ever 4 rides or so. Thing Is I had my motor rebuilt like 20 hrs ago to. New lower end and top end (it threw a main bearing). Yeah I am seriously considering going two stroke haha. Or at least selling this bike and getting a different Honda.

PS. I used to ride yamaha's and I never had valves problems but after I cornered a honda I don't think I could do back to blue :lol:

wow, is this mainly 250f's? I've never had to do my valves yet. I've only raced my 450 a hand full of times and I pretty much never hit the rev limiter.

hondas are better than previous years,but if you want a bike that has great valve life,you gotta go blue.peace and wheelies.

My research on this forum revealed that the Yamahas have similar valve life as the Hondas. They all talk like they are way better, but when you start digging and looking at actual run-time hours, they are the same.

JayC

Ive got 130 hours on my valves on my 2007 crf250r and the valves have only had to be adjusted 2 times slightly.

Start trail riding, that will make your bike last substantially longer. But if you're like me that is not an option!

This is what I have seen or experienced:

Honda - Valve problems. Annoying, this is why I switched to Suzukis. I was getting 40 hours out of my valves on my 450.

Suzuki - Trans problems. Much worse than valves, needed $2800 crate motor to fix. Probably going back to Hondas when 2013s come out next year.

Yamaha - Tough engines, but don't handle as well. Also rear wheels explode destroying engine (cases at least).

Kawasaki - Plastic falls off on the way to the track. Trans issues, but better than Suzuki. Bikes look like they have 200 hours when they have 50, also.

KTM - Don't know many people that ride these, but my friend that does blew his up the other day (350, some bearing, maybe countershaft?)

All bikes have issues.

The honda's have a shitty valve retaining system which actually falls apart over time, especially if adjusted too tightly. This is why people drop valves with Honda's and its actually an extremely easy fix!

First, you need to go to a "performance" shop and get your heads completely re-done. New valve guides, new valve seats and most importantly, you need to put in the effort to install aftermarket retainers and steel valves. The reason why you're having a problem is because the valves arn't sitting correctly because whoever is building your motor, doesn't probably understand the whole valve guide and valve seat relationship.

Here is a link to some of the parts. I'm not a fan of moose racing, but it will at least give you a direction to go in:

http://www.chrome-addiction.com/p-moose-racing-valve-kit-intake-crf450-09261097-10148924.php?r=froogle

Here is a simple solution, buy a YZ250 or 250SX and be done with valves. If you are set on 250Fs, try a KTM 250 SX-F. Im sure someone will chime in, but I havent heard of much trouble from the KTMs. As mentioned, the easiest solution is to become a trail rider...we dont bounce off of rev limiters much. Your engine would probably last 80 hours...even if it is a CRF250.

As far as the statement about YZs having as many valve issues as the CRFs...that hasnt been my experience from reading on this forum. The mid 2000 CRF valve issues are fairly well documented on this site and all over the internet.

Thanks for all the responses guys. Well my Honda is motor is built by one of the best guys in the business, Jesse Williams of Williamsmotorwerx. He is know especially for his dimpled valves and his work with valves. My bike right now is built for arenacross and it a really built bike. I am thinking that I dont need such a built bike because I just race mx.

Sorry but I wont be switching to trail riding, I have tried it and I got really bored...I need jumps and battling! :lol:

A lot of my buddies ride yamahas and honestly I have had alot of friends who would race all year on their yamahas and never touch the valves! I used ride yamahas but god damn I hate how they corner...

I'm starting to think that it just might be my bike, I think I am either gonna try going back to Yamaha or buying a different honda with a all stock motor.

PS. To the dude who said he raced and never hit the rev limited, did you take like last place in c class? No offense but how did you manage...

Thanks for all the responses guys. Well my Honda is motor is built by one of the best guys in the business, Jesse Williams of Williamsmotorwerx. He is know especially for his dimpled valves and his work with valves. My bike right now is built for arenacross and it a really built bike. I am thinking that I dont need such a built bike because I just race mx.

I don't buy it, unless he's building a 5 hr motor, with over-rev capability, 15:1 compression and lots of bottom end work. You should NOT be having valve problems period. My guess is, you've got bad valve guides, causing the valves not to seat properly and its destroying the upper part of the valve and keeper. I'd actually consider the Hondas one of the better bikes in terms of the valvetrain. You do not wanna get near a Kawasaki or a KTM if your blowing up Honda's, both of those bikes don't respond well to the abuse.

The reason why the Yamaha's don't have the same problem as the other bikes is probably due to the lower rev-limit and the location of the peak power on the RPM curve. The other 4 strokes like to be revved out, where the Yamaha doesn't NEED that much revving out as by the time your on the limiter, there is no extra power left.

I've had my 07 kx250f since new in late 06. Everytime I go to adjust them they are still in spec. I ride tight woods and have overheated my bike lots and never had any problems. Moto just murders bikes. My woods bikes might look trashed but at least they run awesome!

Have u switched to stainless valves from the ti ones ? Not sure if the 240 has ti valves but my 2010 450 had them and i was about to swap them over to stainless but sold it b4 I got chance. Hows your filtration are you racing in crazy dusty tracks ?