Another rider comes back to the smoking section

I stopped by the local KTM dealer to check out the riding gear. I was drooling over a new KTM 300 XCW, when someone asked to have the bike pulled into the center isle... He has sold his RM 250 several years ago and went the quad route. 1st it was a Honda 400ex, then a 450... then onto a Honda CRF 450. He has 3 young kids all on bikes, and the 450 cannot handle the slow riding required with the kids. It overheats, and is hard to refire, plus as he stated its just a heavy pig.

As he was checking out the 300, I couldn't help but to chime in and help answer his questions. When he grabbed the rear to lift it onto a stand, his eyes about popped out of his head... he laughed and said that felt as thought it weighed about 1/2 of his CRF. He was thrilled to see a carb, and not EFI. I explained how the power can be adjusted to suite his needs, by changing the power valve spring and adjusting the springs tension. He was sold as soon as he sat on the bike. As he said he was always a two stroke rider, but has to try the 4-stroke. He tried it, hated it and now he's back.... He's back on a new 2012 KTM 300 XCW... yes I'm jealous. (although be did say he may have to sleep in the garage for a while, as wifey wasn't real happy with him at this moment...)?

That's awesome! I've been looking at KTM 2 strokes for a while, I know that the new 250/300 have the multiple springs, how far does that go back in model years? I can't afford a new one. I also don't know what model I would get 200-300. I've only ridden a '05 200 and slightly older 300. Anyway if these questions are a hijack, disregard but I thought they were on plane with the intent of the thread (new or soon to be smoker owners).

BTW: I was @ a KTM dealer that had Yami's also w/ my dad and he was looking at the WR250R/X my dad asked him what the differences were the sales guy said "the X has a different engine and tranny, w/ street tires" I said " I thought the engine and tranny were the same, with changes in gearing, brake rotor size, suspension, 17" wheels instead of 21" and 18" with SM tires?" he said "listen, I own one I know" I'm still not sure if I was right but we walked out of there....bad business if you ask me.?

That's awesome! I've been looking at KTM 2 strokes for a while, I know that the new 250/300 have the multiple springs, how far does that go back in model years? I can't afford a new one. I also don't know what model I would get 200-300. I've only ridden a '05 200 and slightly older 300. Anyway if these questions are a hijack, disregard but I thought they were on plane with the intent of the thread (new or soon to be smoker owners).

BTW: I was @ a KTM dealer that had Yami's also w/ my dad and he was looking at the WR250R/X my dad asked him what the differences were the sales guy said "the X has a different engine and tranny, w/ street tires" I said " I thought the engine and tranny were the same, with changes in gearing, brake rotor size, suspension, 17" wheels instead of 21" and 18" with SM tires?" he said "listen, I own one I know" I'm still not sure if I was right but we walked out of there....bad business if you ask me.?

My dad had a 03 250sx that I swear had a adjustable springs in it. Though we never did find out but he claimed it did!

(although be did say he may have to sleep in the garage for a while, as wifey wasn't real happy with him at this moment...)?

Definatly better to ask forgiveness than permission in this case...HEY - Didja get his name so as to maybe buy it from him if he happens to be that one in a million (happens you know) that regrets buying that 3hundo? Or has to sell it to start sleeping in the house again?!?

I actually overheard a salesman telling a customer who was looking at a CRF 450 that, "the bikes are great and easy to ride, but it's not like the 2 stroke days where they will run forever. You have to do constant maintenance...". It was nice to hear a salesman being honest for a change about the maintenance. It was a Yami-Honda dealer, so he didn't even have any smokers on the floor (although their "sister" store in a nearby city carries KTM).

I guess i'm lucky to have a awesome dealer. The owner and owners kid race/raced and are very knowledgeable about the bikes they sell and have rode just about every bike

I guess I'm lucky I don't have to depend on a dealer. LOL Outside of a few small OEM parts I only visit to drool over the new bikes. ?

I just made it back myself...picked up a 2006 KTM 250 XCW and now have my 2006 CRF450X on the sales block. I cannot BELIEVE the difference in these two bikes. I was always a 2-smoker and tried crossing over for a couple years, but there is no doubt I am back where I belong. I just never got the hang of that X...or the YZ450F, or that RMZ450 I had along the way.