Sign in to follow this  

Utah Movin to Sandy

hey guys i might be moving to sandy,ut in a year or so!!

im moving out of CA due to ridiculousness. hows the riding and people up over there? i hear alot about non-mo hate but is it all true?

There's not a nicer bunch of folks anywhere than the Mormons, and the recreational opportunites in Utah are amazing.

I live in Sandy, I'm not from here but have lived here for 30+ years and the riding is great, mountain singletrack, dunes, desert riding and everything in between and you can ride a smoker all year if you want. You can ride all year in different parts of the state as weather depicts.The people are great and the riding is very uncrowded on sundays. It is a very amazing state for a lot of different reasons

Mo or non-mo doesn't matter, I ride with both and am friends with both. When you have the common interest of dirt bikes its pretty easy to get along with people. Though I generally prefer to ride Sundays as well.

Lots of racing to be had, MX or desert (no enduro's really). 3-4 hrs drive in the winter to ride when the weather is bad but spring/summer/fall there are a lot of options. I think only Idaho has Utah beat as far as proximity and volume of trails, but Utah has slickrock country which is epic.

im moving out of CA due to ridiculousness. hows the riding and people up over there? i hear alot about non-mo hate but is it all true?

Mooners, The riding in utah is bar none. Utah offers every type of riding possable. And the people are just like everywhere else some good and some bad. Let me know when you get here we will go for a ride.

yea iv seen alot of really bad ass trails in moab!!

iv only got a yz125 at the moment so the smokers all year is awesome

In my opinion:

People: Great, friendly, helpful.

Weather: Was extreme last year. But honestly it's changing all the time. Better like the snow and SUPER dry air!!

Activities: Depends on what you like. Here in Richfield us kids hang out at Walmart, gas stations, and Burger King. But I'm SURE there's more to do in Sandy.

Traffic: SUCKS. Drivers SUCK, truckers SUCK, and ladies love those little handy biker-killer devices.

Food: Food's decent, some good Asian/sushi places around. Some basic Mexican bakeries, LOTS of steak and burgers though!!!

Riding: Destinations are amazing. And literally if you set out with a truck and a bike in the back in any direction you WILL find an amazing riding spot. In addition to a ton of motocross tracks, awesome single tracks, giant ATV/fire roads systems, freeride MX tracks, Moab (:)), Bonneville, etc....

Also a ton of riding groups and clubs to socialize with.

You seriously can't go wrong with Utah and and powersports.

TIPS:

KSL is the way of life here. It's what we talk about, it's how we know what's up. And their classies are MUCH MUCH MUCH better than ol' Craig's.

They make "fry sauce" with mayonnaise and KETCHUP!!!! :lol:

The entire state is very outdoors oriented, all the cute teen girls "love to go wheelin' with their dads" (meaning ATVing, they call them "wheelers").

Carry water and chap stick!

90% of them hate Obama! And love their guns!

Don't openly cuss in public, it'll get you yelled at and probably thrown out of the store if it elevates. Because there's a very likely chance there's a child standing right there.

Also don't rip on LDS beliefs, even the non-LDSers are protective of their religious neighbors.

People want to talk; see a guy you saw 3 week ago? He'll want to know how life's going.

People will also want to really know what's up, like if you give them a flippant answer they'll ask again 'cause they are genuinely interested.

It's a pretty "chill" atmosphere, don't take much seriously, because we don't mean no harm.

This may be based off living in Richfield (population ~11,000) but I would assume most of it applies to other cities in the general area.

My parents are from So-Cal, so am I. So I get how you feel.

i went to slc for supercross and the traffic doesnt seem as bad as it is here. California is the mecca for stupid drivers. The weather was pretty weird tho went from 27 and snowing to 40's and sunny, that will take some getting used to but im definatly lookin forward to the riding id basically be 3 hours from anywhere i could ever want to go!:lol:

i went to slc for supercross and the traffic doesnt seem as bad as it is here. California is the mecca for stupid drivers. The weather was pretty weird tho went from 27 and snowing to 40's and sunny, that will take some getting used to but im definatly lookin forward to the riding id basically be 3 hours from anywhere i could ever want to go!:)

Yep "don't like the weather in Utah? Wait 15 minutes." :lol:

I grew up in the Bay Area (Livermore) and the riding in Cali doesn't even compare to what's available out here. If you ever make it over the point of the mountain into Utah valley let me know. Always lookin for more buddies to ride with. Sandy is a really nice area nice and close to the resorts if you snowboard or ski. I'm not real familiar with the riding up that direction however.