Sign in to follow this  

Trying to practice corners.

After watching some of Garys DVDs I decided to build myself an oval to practice corners. I'm starting to get alittle rut build up which is what I really need alot of practice with. Critique away please.

th_100_1613.jpg

Edited by jamey1e

I hate to even comment because you're probably faster than me, but here's what I would suggest to help improve your entry speed.

Set some more pylon things in a straight line between those two and use them as braking and acceleration points. It would probably help if they were all a different color or something so it is easy to differentiate in your peripheral vision. Each time you make a pass hold the throttle longer and brake later/harder.

i would do a figure eight. Keep practicing, you'll get a better rut and some bigger ruts in no time. As you get better sometimes you gotta go in with a shovel and rework it. Another good way to practice is stand up for the strait and practice coming into them standing, its also good exercise.

This evening I went out and chewed it up pretty good and started doing some figure eight's. Hopefully this weekend I can break out the old tractor and disc it up. I'm also going to stretch it out in order to practice coming in standing up fast.

To me, cornering is all about maintaining speed and when your on the the grass like that, without something to really lean against, you arn't maintaining any speed through the corner. Sadly, you're almost upright going around the corner and thats not good.

Also, when you approach the corner, you should be moving your body weight forward on the bike, get your crotch as far forward as possible, get your leg out, push the bike into the corner and gas out. So work on maybe exiting the corner and getting into an attack position as you enter the corner, sit down and work on those things I mentioned above.

Where I agree that figure 8's do help a great deal and doing them is awesome, but it doesn't take time before you figure them out and you arn't learning or using any other skills because you don't have enough time to really use the brakes or gas and you don't have enough time to change your body position.

Track time is the element that you're missing and if all you have is a back yard, I'd maybe make a 4 turn square where you can have space to build up some speed, then learn how to carry that speed into the corner.

To me, cornering is all about maintaining speed and when your on the the grass like that, without something to really lean against, you arn't maintaining any speed through the corner. Sadly, you're almost upright going around the corner and thats not good.

Also, when you approach the corner, you should be moving your body weight forward on the bike, get your crotch as far forward as possible, get your leg out, push the bike into the corner and gas out. So work on maybe exiting the corner and getting into an attack position as you enter the corner, sit down and work on those things I mentioned above.

Where I agree that figure 8's do help a great deal and doing them is awesome, but it doesn't take time before you figure them out and you arn't learning or using any other skills because you don't have enough time to really use the brakes or gas and you don't have enough time to change your body position.

Track time is the element that you're missing and if all you have is a back yard, I'd maybe make a 4 turn square where you can have space to build up some speed, then learn how to carry that speed into the corner.

I'll agree there needs to be something to lean against in the corner. That grass is like ice but this weekend I'll fix that. I generally go to a track on the weekends but it's hard to keep up with a skill only practicing once a week. I keep saying I'm going to build a track down there but never have. Thanks for the advice BTW.