Sign in to follow this  

ktm 300 splutters when powervalve opens

just got my ktm 300 out after a month of it being sat. fresh fuel. new plug. compression is 195psi. bike starts first kick.its still got lots of torque on pull off but as soon as power valve is about to come in it splutters like mad.

ive cleaned all wiring connections up adn all ok. bike was running great last time i went out on it.

any ideas????

Are you sure that the powervalve is opening? Kinda sounds like its staying closed. Gummed up from dried oil after sitting for a month maybe?

could be many different things. sticky PV being one. Jetting is susceptible to temp and humidity changes, so you don't necessarily have to do anything for the bike to run differently.

Does it clean out and run well on the main?

Powervalve seems fine. Never stripped the carb before but the clip is on the very top of the needle. Is that right? Surely not.

The bike as lots of torque low down and pulls fine but when power valve is coming in the bike never picks up it just seems to carry on up rpm at the same rate but powervalve seems intact and moves freely

Did you remove the right side PV cover and check the linkage ?

KTM's are very sensitive to changes in air temp and humidity. As the temps get colder, jetting adjustments need to be made. As the temps dropped, mine would struggle until it was on the pipe. I had to drop the needle (raise the clip) and adjust the air screw to find the sweet spot.

The more I ponder your situation, I think its one of two things, jetting, or a sticky power valve.

Since you are in the top clip, you can't lower it anymore. If it were mine, i would pull the carb, clean it and start eliminating variables.

Had carB off and cleaned. The bike is smoking its head off when reving. Its like its either dumping loads of fuel in or the transmission oil is getting into the barrel. If i sit reving it its big clouds of smoke. The plug looks new like its not even been used everytime. Its not carboned up its a little wet.

Sounds like a crank seal....

+1

Mine acted like it hit a rev limiter instead of a power band and leave a huge cloud of smoke. I chased jetting a long time before it became obvious.

Pull the pilot jet and replace or clean it.. Sounds like a lean bog. The pilot jet is notorious for laquering up after sitting for a bit..

Pull the pilot jet and replace or clean it.. Sounds like a lean bog. The pilot jet is notorious for laquering up after sitting for a bit..

wouldn't that make it hard to crank? I agree that they clog easily, but it seems he has no trouble on low throttle input. Worth checking nonetheless, rule out one more item. :lol: