Sign in to follow this  

Stock lights crap.......halogen conversion?

My 91 XR600R has a stock 35/35 non halogen crappy bulb, is it possible to run a Halogen bulb? and what is the maximum wattage on a standard stator?

it may not have a fitting for an H4 halogen bit i can sharp make one up...... if it will work that is, I dont want to start messing with stuff till i get confirmation...

also have an LED bulb for tail light, do i need anything special to make it work?

thanks again for all your help!:lol:

For the USA version XR's the part numbers below are for the glass lens upgrade using a 55 watt halogen bulb. With a high output stator you can us a 100 watt bulb.

01 SUB-CABLE

32101-KF0-810 (1) $5.33

02 COVER, RUBBER

33115-MG3-003 (1) $13.36

03 HEADLIGHT

33123-MK2-671 (1) $36.55

04 WIRE

33140-MG3-003 (1) $12.78

05 BULB (12V55W) (H3)

34908-SA0-811 (1) $23.46

I tried the higher wattage bulb (55w)With a battery,but it wasn't any brighter until i put a higher output stator on. But that's a 650R...

Edited by scalejockey

1991 XR 600R stator puts out 150 watts @ 5000 R.P.M.

That thing should power any kind of light you want to put on it.....as well as a flashing neon billboard....

Edited by jaysons
add info

1991 XR 600R stator puts out 150 watts @ 5000 R.P.M.

That thing should power any kind of light you want to put on it.....as well as a flashing neon billboard....

even an HID??????:lol:

oh if only........

I was thinking of rewinding my stator myself........easy enough, found loads of how to's on the net..... but if it puts out 150w hell im gonna go 90/100 upfront, or HID, LED on the ass and night time foolery here i come....... some of these trails in spain in the mountains are awesome at night,,,,,,,,,,stupid, but awesome....:)

I'm not a wiring or electrical expert. I am also trying to figure out the easiest/cheapest route to installing better lighting on my '91 XR 600R. I just learned that about the wattage output the other day. It is stated in the "Honda Service Manual".

But I'm wondering, how often is a fella in the 5000 RPM range? or even continuously in the 2500 RPM range? Do ya have to keep the RPM's high enough, all the time, in order for a good light to keep it's brightness?

Is there any value in just trying a different bulb? There are a ton on ebay if you search for xr650L.

The L puts out around 180 watts, but that's at 5,000 RPM, and that also has to fire the ignition, run the other lights, charge tha battery, etc.

I'm currently running an HID on my XR600 with an rewound stator. My regulator went bad and fried both my battery and the HID ballast. I have yet to replace the battery, but I'm running a 55 watt halogen and the HID with no battery. I did put a decent sized capacitor (aka battery eliminator). The HID will go out at real low revs, but for the most part it still works fine.

When my reg fried, I had an older Honda street bike three phase regulator sitting in a spare parts box. I just connected it to the single phase stator by connection two of the three yellow wires to one stator wire and the last yellow wire to the other stator wire.

You gotta rewind the stater for any real boost, I did that And run a 100 watt lamp. It works so much better