Sign in to follow this  

2006-2011 Shocks

Hey people, I have an 06 rmz 450, The shocks have never been touched in it and I halled them out there a few minutes ago and checked them over, everything seems to be fine and everything looks fine, I was talking to a guy just now that does re-building of them and recharging them, Should I take them off and get them recharged and looked over? He told me almost every year they should be done but Money is the problem right now for me (collage student) But i want the best for the bike that could possibly be, Whats your guys opinion? Should i try and get them done anyways or is it ok to leave for a while yett?

The problem is that you want the best but you really can't afford it, so something has to give.

I personally have my suspension rebuilt every other year, if you are racing then rebuilding every year or more is required. If you are just playing around then once every 3 or 4 years would be ok ~ depending on how you ride. But in general with a bike that's not being raced or agressively ridden as long as the suspension isn't leaking and it has decent damping you are ok with not rebuilding. And if the shock is not leaking then recharging will not do anything for you.

I dont race, just go to a pit hit a few jumps and play around and leave again, they don't leak as of yett and there's no give or play when their off the bike, Only reason i took it off really is because the linkage bearing is gone, but I'm hopefully to be working the summer at my trade so i'll bring them all in then.

Its an 06 and they have never been apart. They are 6 years old, I would either have them gone over or do some research and do it yourself.

First, yes you should have your suspension refreshed yearly. If it is an 06 and has never been done you will probably end up spending a lot more money eventually if you continue to neglect the basic service.

Secondly, if you are in College I'm guessing by your spelling that you must be an English major at Harvard. Just saying...

I would find out how much he wants to change the oil and recharge. It shouldn't be much . If you have to wait to get the bearings, hold off to see if you can get some money together before you put it back in. I would have it done if it was my bike, but if you have to wait until next summer, I think it would be ok to use until then.