Sign in to follow this  

2 stroke and 4 stroke difference

ive been riding for about 8 years now and have only been riding four strokes "I ride a yz250f"and have never threw my leg over a two stroke bike, I was wondering what are some off the comparisons and contrast of the two types of bikes? whats the difference operating them, racing them, and of coarse how are the motors different? ive been curious a while but never actually asked anyone who knew for sure, all answers are apreciated, thanks

4-strokes are typically longer-lasting engines that use valves to moderate air intake and exhaust between compression and firing strokes (hence 4-stroke: intake, compression, ignition, exhaust). The piston or pistons on a 4-stroke fire every other stroke: 1) intake is downstroke, 2) compression is upstroke, 3) ignition/fire is downstroke, and 4) exhaust is upstroke to expell burned gasses.

2-stroke engines are lighter-weight and simpler engines that fire on every stroke, and do not have valves to moderate air intake and exhaust, but have ports built into the head and/or cylinder for intake and exhaust. 2-strokes make more power per cc or displacement than 4-strokes and are lighter weight and simpler, but they do not burn fuel very efficiently, are dirtier environmentally, and burn up or deteriorate quicker. 2-strokes require a gas-oil fuel mixture to lubricate internal parts, but do not have an oil system dedicated to overall engine lubrication like 4-stroke engines.

2-strokes have a touchy and somewhat volatile powerband, but if you can control it, the power can be downright explosive within a particular rpm range. 2-strokes are seat-of-the pants rocket-like fun, unless you hit the powerban at the wrong time. If you ride a lightweight 2-stroke single-cylinder motorcycle and do wheelies, you can get burned by having the bike come back over on you (I've done it in my youth more times than I can remember, and have the scars on my knees to prove it).

4-strokes are milder but more controllable, and will typically treat you better in the long run, but it depends on your taste.

The following is a good website documenting the specifics:

http://www.deepscience.com/articles/engines.html

4-strokes are typically longer-lasting engines that use valves to moderate air intake and exhaust between compression and firing strokes (hence 4-stroke: intake, compression, ignition, exhaust). The piston or pistons on a 4-stroke fire every other stroke: 1) intake is downstroke, 2) compression is upstroke, 3) ignition/fire is downstroke, and 4) exhaust is upstroke to expell burned gasses.

2-stroke engines are lighter-weight and simpler engines that fire on every stroke, and do not have valves to moderate air intake and exhaust, but have ports built into the head and/or cylinder for intake and exhaust. 2-strokes make more power per cc or displacement than 4-strokes and are lighter weight and simpler, but they do not burn fuel very efficiently, are dirtier environmentally, and burn up or deteriorate quicker. 2-strokes require a gas-oil fuel mixture to lubricate internal parts, but do not have an oil system dedicated to overall engine lubrication like 4-stroke engines.

2-strokes have a touchy and somewhat volatile powerband, but if you can control it, the power can be downright explosive within a particular rpm range. 2-strokes are seat-of-the pants rocket-like fun, unless you hit the powerban at the wrong time. If you ride a lightweight 2-stroke single-cylinder motorcycle and do wheelies, you can get burned by having the bike come back over on you (I've done it in my youth more times than I can remember, and have the scars on my knees to prove it).

4-strokes are milder but more controllable, and will typically treat you better in the long run, but it depends on your taste.

The following is a good website documenting the specifics:

http://www.deepscience.com/articles/engines.html

I think your talking about trail bikes, there's only a few of those even made anymore.

MX 4 strokes, which make up 90 % of the market now, are nothing like you described

Modern 4 strokes, higher maintenance costs for rebuilds

Modern 2 strokes, Heaven in a motorcycle frame.

Seriously, if you are use to riding a thumper then you should treat yourself to riding a 2 stroke at least once. When people say 2 strokes are "explosive" they probably haven't ridden one in a while. I've had a couple over the past 2 years and neither were "rip your arms out of the socket" explosive. Controlling a smoker is all about throttle control, if you don't have any then you don't control the smoker. My husky is smooth as butter, my kx wasn't as nice but it was never scary at all. Just quicker to rev.

Don't ever believe you can't lug a 2 stroke either, my 300 will pull 3rd gear starts all day long.