Sign in to follow this  

Which knee brace?

Went to the doc today to see if I could get a prescription for some knee braces and they showed me 2 different types. The first one was a breg and the second one was a don joy. I also asked them to get a cti in for me to try on as well, it will be in next week. Which of these three have you all had experience with and which would you suggest. They are all the ots models by the way. Thanks!

I went through this about 7 years ago and I couldn't get my insurance to pay for CTI's, and at the time Don Joy was not making a knee brace that included patella (knee cap) protection. I'm using the Aterisks because I had to find somethig affordable. They've held up well. The patella protection is minimal though. I had a direct hit with them on and ended up with a shattered knee cap. That sucked. I went back to the Dr. and got a pair of expensive carbon Don Joys that my insurance did pay for (I used them to play hockey), but they are more uncomfortable and a bit bulkier than my Asterisks, and no patella coverage at all. The CTI's would have been my first choice for MX knee braces if my insurance would pay for them.

I have the CTI (only the left though) and have been very happy with it. My insurance paid for it since I tore my ACL. They didn't pay for the patella so I had to front that. Now I just need to find away to get the right paid for by ins without hurting my self:smirk:

I also use the Cti ots on my left leg only. And Love it. I had to pay for the pattella cup and mx kit but big deal Its been great and comfy after you get used to it!

I have a Don Joy Armor brace for my left leg. Insurance paid for part of it; wound up costing me about the same as if I were to buy it off ebay. Fantastic insurance :lol: I had to buy a knee guard because there is no patella protection. It didn't take long at all to get used to the brace, but it did take a while to get used to the knee guard. Now I like it and I have actually felt the brace stop my knee from hyperextending. Never tried anything else, so I have nothing to compare it to, but I have no problems with the Don Joy.