Auto clutch=laziness?

I'm curious to see why so many people swear by the autoclutch? I've ridden several bikes with autoclutches and the only one I liked was in a 2011 yz450f, for the woods only though.

Is pulling in the clutch lever too much work????

Is it just a ego thing?

Was it just a good idea at the time when you bought it?

How many of you bought one, installed it and then removed it because you didn't like it?

If this has been posted before....OFWP. :lol:

• Like 1

I like it for two reasons:

1. It gives me one less thing to worry about while trying to negotiate rough terrain. This allows me to focus more on body position, line choice, etc.

2. It allows me to run a LHRB. This helps ALOT. I can stay on the balls of my feet, slide in to right hand turns, and it makes my bike feel like a mountain bike.

I can see how it could be seen as something for lazy riders, but it really doesn't lighten the workload of riding a dirtbike by much.

• Like 1

the only time I've heard someone call it "lazy" is when it's used as an excuse because they cant think of a real reason they do not like them

I'm not giving back my modern suspension, steering damper, or my autoclutch, technology keeps advancing, the same crap was said about street bike clutch changes, but now everyone that races competitively uses a slipper

In my mind, the main benefit of the auto clutch is consistency. I still use the clutch lever a lot on my bike with a core-exp, especially in very tight stuff to avoid the clutch from "grabbing" suddenly. I also use it to get the front end up etc.

Yes you can tune the auto clutches to provide a veeerrrryy smooth engagement, which is good once in a while, but I do not like the way this feels for 90% of my riding.

The times I really appreciate the auto clutch however are when I come out of a corner too slow and there is a large hill climb. Normally I would have to feather the clutch "just so" in order to maintain perfect traction/revs/acceleration, to avoid bogging but still put power down. The auto clutch does a lot of this for me, and it does it the same way every time. It means after an hour and a half of racing, I don't have to worry that I might make a small mistake and loose a full minute trying to get another run at an obstacle like a hill climb. This also applies to various other situations.

I run one on my 450...doesn't seem to result in better riding, but I think it's easier. Hard to tell though, the other bikes are all pretty different.

For me, it's kinda like a trials tire...pretty cool in some situations, but if you're already good with your clutch, it just changes your mechanics. Kinda weird jumping back n forth between bikes...seems to be a few minutes of adjustment time. I've got the Pro, so I often find myself using the clutch out of habit.

I'm curious to see why so many people swear by the autoclutch? I've ridden several bikes with autoclutches and the only one I liked was in a 2011 yz450f, for the woods only though.

Is pulling in the clutch lever too much work????

Is it just a ego thing?

Was it just a good idea at the time when you bought it?

How many of you bought one, installed it and then removed it because you didn't like it?

If this has been posted before....OFWP. :)

So, you want one, but need moral support... :banghead::cheers: Come to the darkside. We have cookies. :lol:

• Like 4

the only time I've heard someone call it "lazy" is when it's used as an excuse because they cant think of a real reason they do not like them...

I don't like them in anything under a 450 thumper, didn't like it in a KTM 200, YZ250, WR450 or KTM300. The "real" clutch feel isn't there to regardless what anyone says. Yes, they were setup correctly. I'm sure I could get use to riding with one if I were to spend sufficient amount of time riding with it, but I'm too lazy.

In my mind, the main benefit of the auto clutch is consistency. I still use the clutch lever a lot on my bike with a core-exp, especially in very tight stuff to avoid the clutch from "grabbing" suddenly. I also use it to get the front end up etc.

Yes you can tune the auto clutches to provide a veeerrrryy smooth engagement, which is good once in a while, but I do not like the way this feels for 90% of my riding.

The times I really appreciate the auto clutch however are when I come out of a corner too slow and there is a large hill climb. Normally I would have to feather the clutch "just so" in order to maintain perfect traction/revs/acceleration, to avoid bogging but still put power down. The auto clutch does a lot of this for me, and it does it the same way every time. It means after an hour and a half of racing, I don't have to worry that I might make a small mistake and loose a full minute trying to get another run at an obstacle like a hill climb. This also applies to various other situations.

I feeling that.

I run one on my 450...doesn't seem to result in better riding, but I think it's easier. ...

For me, it's kinda like a trials tire...pretty cool in some situations, but if you're already good with your clutch, it just changes your mechanics. Kinda weird jumping back n forth between bikes...seems to be a few minutes of adjustment time. I've got the Pro, so I often find myself using the clutch out of habit.

Yep, exactly......in a 450 for woods racing I would have to have one. You would only need 3rd gear for nearly 99% of your riding. :)

So, you want one, but need moral support... :banghead::cheers: Come to the darkside. We have cookies. :lol:

Bryan, I have a Husky WR so it is like having a autoclutch. I think the bike has terrain navigation and autopilot it's so easy to ride.

• Like 1

I don't personally use an auto-clutch, but the folks I know who have them are anything but lazy. They got them to make it easier and safer for them to do long extreme technical mtn rides. I think it's considerate because with the a/c those folks don't hold me up as much and don't burn out early and start whining to go back to the truck after only 50 miles of rock steps and logs.

Note that on the husky wr300 in the op's sig, riding 2 straight days of 6 hour enduros might cause you to think an auto-clutch would be a good thing.

It seems that quite a few people have formed their opinions after trying the z start pro. The exp is quite a bit different and the clutch feel is very close to stock. Friends have ridden my bike and didn't know it had a rekluse, they just figured I didn't know how to adjust the free play :lol:

When I'm pushing hard at the end of a hare scramble i occasionally crash, it's nice not to have to restart the bike after I pick it up. Saves me time and energy.

I don't personally use an auto-clutch, but the folks I know who have them are anything but lazy. They got them to make it easier and safer for them to do long extreme technical mtn rides. I think it's considerate because with the a/c those folks don't hold me up as much and don't burn out early and start whining to go back to the truck after only 50 miles of rock steps and logs.

HAHAHA! That is funny! Not calling you slow or lazy, just funny because I've ridden with guys that have done that.

Note that on the husky wr300 in the op's sig, riding 2 straight days of 6 hour enduros might cause you to think an auto-clutch would be a good thing.

I'm down for that challenge....is that an invite? :lol: My sweet little Huskies clutch is incredibly easy to pull. I wish we had 2 day races on the right coast.....

If lazy makes you go faster:thumbsup:

It seems that quite a few people have formed their opinions after trying the z start pro. The exp is quite a bit different and the clutch feel is very close to stock. Friends have ridden my bike and didn't know it had a rekluse, they just figured I didn't know how to adjust the free play :lol:

I'm 99% sure that the bikes I rode had the EXP. If that is the one that acts like a real clutch then that is what they had installed. They did feel like the free play was jacked, almost zero friction zone also.

When I'm pushing hard at the end of a hare scramble i occasionally crash, it's nice not to have to restart the bike after I pick it up. Saves me time and energy.

Out of curiosity, do you ride a 2 or 4 stroke?

the old pro makes the clutch feel very soft

the coreexp 2.0, the 900 $ one feels almost stock above engagement rpm, I keep that set pretty low

the exp makes the lever harder to pull I think? Not sure dont own one

the old pro makes the clutch feel very soft

the coreexp 2.0, the 900 $ one feels almost stock above engagement rpm, I keep that set pretty low

the exp makes the lever harder to pull I think? Not sure dont own one

HOLY COW!! $900!!!!! Ok, autoclutches don't make you lazy they make you broke! I'm way behind, I guess I haven't looked at the website in a long time.

Autoclutch=handbrake. Simple as that. No other way to have a handbrake and once you use one you'll never want to go back. Of course I'm talking about non-MX riding.

I rode my 450 KTM for over a year before installing a pro model. And I still clutch, so why? It's nice that when I make a clutch/gear/line mistake in a tough spot, I don't pay for it by wasting a bunch of energy. I ride for fun, so whatever allows me to ride longer, harder is good in my book. Must have? Nope. Nice to have? Yes.

I don't like them in anything under a 450 thumper, didn't like it in a KTM 200, YZ250, WR450 or KTM300. The "real" clutch feel isn't there to regardless what anyone says. Yes, they were setup correctly. I'm sure I could get use to riding with one if I were to spend sufficient amount of time riding with it, but I'm too lazy.

I had a Z start Pro in both my KTM300 and 250 and they worked great. I did have to play with it more on the 250 to get the engagement I wanted, but it wasn't a big deal. I enjoyed having the ZSP on both bikes as much as I do on my YZ450F.