Sign in to follow this  

carburetor cleaning

I'm trying to clean the carburetor on my Z50R. The manual tells me to "clean the metal parts in carburetor cleaning solution". What is a good carburetor cleaning solution? Most of the stuff in the store was either something you sprayed on or poured into the fuel tank. I ended up buying b-12 chemtool fuel treatment? It's supposed to be poured into the fuel tank. Is that the right stuff? Can I use it to clean my carburetor or should I have gotten something else? Do I soak my carburetor in the cleaning solution or just pour it on and clean it immediately?

It looks like the gasoline dried out or something and left a pretty thick coating on the carburetor. I'm guessing I should probably replace the plastic/rubber components? Thanks.

most peeps use Chemtool carb dip.....kind of nasty stuff but does the job...lately I have been using Pine Sol as a dip and it has so far seemed to work well...just put it in a container that you can put the whole parted carb in and let it sit for awhile or even overnight...wash off and blow out with compressed air...have had good luck so far...make sure it is Pine Sol brand and not the cheap poo..buy a carb kit off ebay and you can get all the gaskets/seals/jets etc...that you will need

If you use pine sol to clean your carburetor, do you then rinse the carburetor with water? Is water bad for the carburetor?

blow it out with compressed air afterwards....it should be fine....the amount of H2O left is probably the same that is in our gas anyway

Another option for cleaning carbs is diesel fuel.......I tried it for the first time a couple of months ago and it works way better than anything I've used before. My Brother-in-law told me about it.. I thought he was crazy until I tried it.

I had a set of "frozen" carbs, the slides wouldn't even move due to the heavy residue, I've tried carb cleaner and it made no difference other than destroying the gaskets and O rings.

I soaked the carbs in a coffee can full of diesel fuel and within a day or two the slides were moving freely.

The desiel fuel wont harm the gaskets or O rings like the carb cleaner did, I highly recommend it.

EDIT ------- > Dang.....just realized how old the original post was........hope you got the carbs cleaned up OK.

Edited by Leget