Sign in to follow this  

Open hanguards? Whats The Deal?!

HARD :)

:banghead: Answered you're own question. :lol:

There are some new plastic Cycra's that some people tell me work pretty well...but I'm a strap kinda guy. The Tusk ones from RMatv work fine for cheap, and if ya feel like goin for it...LINK

Lotsa choices in between.

Edited by Slackkinhard
fixed

If you ride in the woods, and you are under AA Pro ability then you should get the wrap around handguards. Anything less is just asking for problems IMO.

:) Answered you're own question. :lol:

There are some new plastic Cycra's that some people tell me work pretty well...but I'm a strap kinda guy. The Tusk ones from RMatv work fine for cheap, and if ya feel like goin for it...LINK

Lotsa choices in between.

yeah thats what i was wondering, a few of my racing buddies use them and like them, i recently aquired a Cycra sponsorship, so I was wondering how they would hold up...

depending on which ones you have the handguards will hold up but will really offer no protection in the woods. I have the sunline ones that rotate if you fall or anything, they work for roost and mud which is what i got them for when i ride on the mx track but are useless in the woods. get full wrap around ones

yeah thats what i was wondering, a few of my racing buddies use them and like them, i recently aquired a Cycra sponsorship, so I was wondering how they would hold up...

Get those new plastic cycras and report back. Just from lookin at them, I think they gotta shot :lol:

I ride desert and have the full wrap Al Cycras. I crash once in a while;) and my last one took the right side of my bars through a rock (small, between volleyball and softball size) The bars/handgaurd went right through it, then my elbow smashed into it. I also wear elbow guards. Looking at the scab on my elbow right now, I'm glad I have full wrap handguards, not fly-swatters. Oh, and my levers are still intact and the throttle tube isn't full of dirt.

how do open ended handguards compare to closed ones? for durability.

and what about clipping trees? will it be catastrophic? or will it be shrugged off like closed handguards?

For over 25 years I had heard not to ride with the full closed ones. That you could go over the bars and your hands drop down thur them and snap your arms or wrists or be tangled with the bike in a bad crash. I never believed it until at a pre race meeting last year someone was showing his scars from wrist to elbow on both arms where he went over the bars and his hands dropped down thur the gards and snapped both his arms. Scarred the crap of out me. I still use them but ride slower. Twisted logic I guess.

For over 25 years I had heard not to ride with the full closed ones. That you could go over the bars and your hands drop down thur them and snap your arms or wrists or be tangled with the bike in a bad crash. I never believed it until at a pre race meeting last year someone was showing his scars from wrist to elbow on both arms where he went over the bars and his hands dropped down thur the gards and snapped both his arms. Scarred the crap of out me. I still use them but ride slower. Twisted logic I guess.

At any given time there are about 2,000 thunderstorms around the world producing about 44 flashes of lightning each second.

With that in mind, I go outside everyday without a worry of being hit by one.

Risk analysis...it's a personal thing :lol:

Those are also the people that don't wear seat belts because the "know a guy who had a friend" who died in a car wreck because he was trapped in his seat belt. :lol:

As stated above, the open ended handguards are designed as roost protectors. Some places wont let you race with the closed loop guards, but for woods riding, definately go closed loop!!