Sign in to follow this  

Three bikes in a six foot bed

Three of us are trucking our bikes from B.C. Canada to San Diego for a winter Baja trip. I've never put three bikes in a pickup before. Last night we tried it with me buddies Dodge 2500 crew cab shortbox.

We put two bikes (a DRZ 400 and a DR 350) on the outside facing forward and the third bike (XR 400) backwards in the middle. We put all three bikes in first then set the straps up. First we ran straps from the rear subframe under the fender of the center bike, through the spokes of the other two bikes and attached them to the hooks in the corner of the box. Then we ran straps fromt he handlebars over the seat of the center bike and down to the box hooks, then the outside of the bars to the hooks.

It seems to be pretty good, but the back fender of the center bike is really close to the back window. We might change it up a little when we finally head out. I just thought I'd share this since I couldn't find any good info when I searched it out.

I've jammed a KTM 300, Honda crf 150 and a YZ 250 in the back of a Toyota pick-up, short bed, 6 foot.... with three gear bags and gas. So it's doable.

I've put four bikes and four gear bags in the back of a short bed GMC before. My RM 250 a CR 250 an RMZ 450 and a KTM 300. it was pretty tight. two bikes facing back two front, tailgate up tires on the tail gate and gear bags under the bikes. takes all four of you to load like this and is a pain.

another method that might work is to use a milk crate or something else at least a foot high in front of the middle bike tire (to space it back), and put it in forward. This may allow the bars on the middle bike to clear everything on the other two.

I use the milk crate method too. If I need a little more clearance for the bars, I turn the forks on the outside bikes away from the middle bike just a little bit. Works great.

I put a KTM 360 and a KX 100 and a Qau Qua Qua d (sorry, saying that made me throw up a little bit) in the back of a full size pickup pretty easy.

it was from the Orient for sure...........

Naw, I just like to annoy my wife with anti quad comments.

We hauled the three in the pickup, then added a hitch carrier

for a CR, it works great!

@Pumpkin450sxf,

Is that a Springdale? We bought one just

like it only 29 ft. Nice outfit!

it was from the Orient for sure...........

Naw, I just like to annoy my wife with anti quad comments.

We hauled the three in the pickup, then added a hitch carrier

for a CR, it works great!

@Pumpkin450sxf,

Is that a Springdale? We bought one just

like it only 29 ft. Nice outfit!

It's a Outback, by Keystone. I had a 38fter before where the back folded down but it was just to friggin big. No half tons could tow it so we had to down size. This one is mine, I use it when I'm out in the field. I throw my dual-sport drz and my KTM in it. I like them because I can leave my bikes in it, go to work and not worry about it. The only downside is the small hot water tank (5g). The rear of it slides out also.

Three of us are trucking our bikes from B.C. Canada to San Diego for a winter Baja trip. I've never put three bikes in a pickup before. Last night we tried it with me buddies Dodge 2500 crew cab shortbox.

We put two bikes (a DRZ 400 and a DR 350) on the outside facing forward and the third bike (XR 400) backwards in the middle. We put all three bikes in first then set the straps up. First we ran straps from the rear subframe under the fender of the center bike, through the spokes of the other two bikes and attached them to the hooks in the corner of the box. Then we ran straps fromt he handlebars over the seat of the center bike and down to the box hooks, then the outside of the bars to the hooks.

It seems to be pretty good, but the back fender of the center bike is really close to the back window. We might change it up a little when we finally head out. I just thought I'd share this since I couldn't find any good info when I searched it out.

The bed buddy from ccr has a middle spacer that sits the bike back a little to seperate the handlebars from the outter two bikes, I have one and love it makes life a lot easier and the bikes are secured very well.

if you do this often, a real nice way is to get a sheet of plywood and cut it to fit your bed and wheel wells. Then get some bike shoes and bolt them to the plywood. then roll the bikes in and flip up the bike shoes. The weight of the bikes will hold the plywood in place in the front of your truck. then no need for all the straps. And you can space the middle bike back on the plywood where ever you want it to be.

if you do this often, a real nice way is to get a sheet of plywood and cut it to fit your bed and wheel wells. Then get some bike shoes and bolt them to the plywood. then roll the bikes in and flip up the bike shoes. The weight of the bikes will hold the plywood in place in the front of your truck. then no need for all the straps. And you can space the middle bike back on the plywood where ever you want it to be.

do you have any links to bike shoes? do you still need tie downs when using a bike shoe??

do you have any links to bike shoes? do you still need tie downs when using a bike shoe??

no tie downs needed at all.

google has lots of links to bike shoes.

http://www.amazon.com/BIKE-SHOE-MOTORCYCLE-WHEEL-CHOCK/dp/B002C7BBPC

http://www.americandirtbike.com/adb.htm

http://www.discountramps.com/dirt-bike-wheel-shoe.htm

http://pitposse.com/bikeshoe.html

these racks work well for hauling 3 bikes. it staggers the middle bike so the bars dont touch the other bikes bars...pretty much does what a milk crate would do..lol from time to time you can find these and hitch carriers used on craigslist for super cheap.

heres a pic of one mounted in a toyhauler.

http://www.boltiton.com/

^ description says something contrary. it's for holding bike while you tie it down. I would not use it without tie downs in a pickup truck.

One of the descriptions out of 4 says something about holding while tying it down. the object of the bike shoe is to not need to tie it down. Have been using 4 in my trailer for about 7 years now and have never had a problem. And I have never seen anyone using a bike shoe and straps both.

One of the descriptions out of 4 says something about holding while tying it down. the object of the bike shoe is to not need to tie it down. Have been using 4 in my trailer for about 7 years now and have never had a problem. And I have never seen anyone using a bike shoe and straps both.

Which bike shoe's are you using? wonder if they make a quick release system for mounting... i'd hate to be tripping over those in the trailer once the bikes were unloaded.

We have one mounted near the front, two about 1/3 the way back on each side, and then one behind where the front bikes rear tire would be.

There are lots of pics in this thread:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=984905&highlight=

In the shots with the three bikes in the trailer, the 4th shoe goes right behind the middle bike. We mounted 3 nuts to the underside frame of the trailer. Then have long bolts and a drill with a socket on it to speed them in and out. Takes about a minute to mount or unmount. The ones on the sides are under the shelves once we have them set up so they are not a problem.