Sign in to follow this  

04 CR250 40mm Radiator braces??

I am purchasing some 40MM aftermarket Radiators to replace my bent stock ones. I have the works connection braces that fit on the sides, but it seems like when my rad bent it just bent that small little brace like cardboard. Does anyone know if they make braces that will fit around a larger aftermarket radiator? Braces like the MSR or Works COnnection that surround the whole radiator bracing it?

I have oversize aftermarket radiators with devol radiator braces, these ones http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Devol-Radiator-Guards-Honda-CR-125-250-2002-04-HC-0592-HC-0592-/400261451864?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d31711058 on my 03 cr250 and they fit pretty well. I just had to space them about 5mm where they bolt on so they dont touch the rads and its all good.

how did you go about lengthening them?

I used some washers to space out the rad gaurds about 1/4inch from the rads where they bolt onto the frame, there is no need to do this with stock rads because they are narrower. Thats just my experience with devol rad gaurds and the rads i got. Regardless what brand of rads you get and what brand of gaurds you get there will be some customising you will need to do to get them to fit properly i can assure you of that. Ive put after market rad gaurds on a fair few bikes, some with stock rads and some aftermarket and every time ive had to stuff around to get them to fit. Get some new rads and new gaurds and put them on its not hard just a little bit of time and when they are on it looks good and is rock solid.

ok guys thank you i will check the rads out when they come, and see what i need to do. Do yall think the devol style are much stronger than the works connections ones that fit on the sides? it seems both are made of the same tiny aluminum metal. My firend has some works connection braces on his 07 yz250F that surround the radiator an brace the rads with about 1/4 inch rods to the frame. I wish they made em for older bikes. b/c he fell so hard he actually broke his collar bone and got a consussion, broke alot on his bike but the rads were standing strong, wish i could use em :/

Sorry to hear about your friend man.

From experience I know the works conn guards are garbage. Devol or other cage like guards are much better.

On the downside you might notice the bike runs a little hotter, especially if you ride trails, track prob wont make a Diff. The guards do reduce air flow, the cure is to zip tie the Stock plastic fins on top of them...

if you got a set like the ASI units, they are built strong enough you dont need braces on them. Just another thing to mess with on the bike and add weight.

I have never had a problem with overheating either and i ride 100% trails and it is seriously farking hot here. I like the OP replaced my rads because they were old and bent so oversize aftermarket rads were the best option because they are BIGGER and they are cheaper...its a win win situation.

The devol guards are about as strong as i have seen on a dirt bike because they have the bracket bracing the rads to the frame behind the rads also.

I have the DeVol guards on mine, never experienced any overheating. But I did bend my rad back a couple weeks ago with a hard crash, the brace that supports the rad back to the frame basically folded up. The good news is that it did it's job in keeping the rad intact and is just a matter of straightening up the rad mounts and guard and guard to frame bracket. Can't go wrong with DeVol guards IMO