Sign in to follow this  

Popping into Gear

New to this whole 2-stroke thing. Bought my son a "06"" Kx 65 for X-Mass and while doing some clean up and other minor things I took it for a little test

ride. "The problem" after warming up I started to snap the throttle and when the enginge hit higher RPM's it popped into gear. This happened 3 times, twice without the clutch being engaged and again when clutch being engaged(lever pulled). I dont think its a clutch cable adj. but not sure. Any help would be great.

Thanks

That doesn't sound good. I don't know what would cause popping into gear without touching anything. I would suspect maybe bent shift forks? Maybe someone else has heard of this kind of thing happening?

It wight be the shift star, The little indent might be worn out, youll see what im talking about. You will have to take out the Shift shaft, side cover, and the clutch to get a look see

Just talked to a guy that has alot of experience with rebuilding bikes and he said it sounds like it might be a tension spring, the part is actually called "change lever springs". I prob wont get to the bike till after X-mass as it is in "hiding" for now. Too much of a pain to haul tools back and forth.

Will report back when I find out what it is.

Thanks for the help!!

Had the same problem. Mine was caused by son jamming on the shift lever. It ended up being a weak spring on the change lever and also the bolt that holds the selector on the shift drum was loose causing it not to properly engage the detent. Its a pretty easy fix though... Just make sure he's not jamming on the gears very hard.

Oh, Yea, make sure to put some lock-tite on the bolt that goes into the shift drum, as well as the small bolt that holds the change lever.

Not yet, "I prob wont get to the bike till after X-mass as it is in "hiding" for now. Too much of a pain to haul tools back and forth"

If I do get to it before then, I'll give an update

Thanks

well finally got the side cover off, all springs look ok. Going to order new springs anyway, only a couple $ a piece. I'll see what happens with new springs, if the springs don't fix it the only thing I can think of is maybe a bent

shift fork:foul: will post again when I get the springs installed

If I have to split the cases I will take a look at all of it. The person I bought it from did some work on it, and I already found a washer that was missing from behind the clutch basket. So who knows what's to come

well, all is fine. Bike is back together and seems to be working fine at this time. Neutral is easy to find now.

Thanks for the help and extra info