Sign in to follow this  

What to do with new full dirt tyre?

Here’s the situation!

I recently purchased a 520exc which can be made road legal. I haven’t gotten around to making it road legal yet, what I did is I bought a brand new kenda dirt bike tyre, think that me and my friends would be going riding every now and then.

That never happened and they hardly ever go riding also. I don’t have a Ute or trailer to go by myself either and I now want to make it road legal with road tyres.

Now the rear tyre is literally brand new, only been used on a piece of grass for 5 minutes MAX. The little hair things are even still on it it’s literally brand new.

The tyre cost me $105.

Now I am considering getting road tyres on the front and try and sell the front, new rear, and old rear tyres all for $200 so that I don’t have tyres lying around im not going to use.

But I am worried that no one will buy them, let’s face it, the dirt bike tyre industry isn’t easy to sell in unless you are popular.

Now my question is, should I just ride on the road with the dirt front and rear tyres? I know they will wear out real fast but it’s better than having them lay around not being used or sold?

Your opinions thanks.

I dual sport with 90 off 10 on tires all the time

sorry mate i dont understand this??

90% off-road, 10% street...i think is what he's telling you.

i've also used dirt tires on my klx250(dual sport), i'm sure it's not the best choice, but no problems here

well, other than the fact that they don't last long!

if they still have the teats on them you could sell them on egay?

someone should buy them.

Hold front brake, Rev engine, Release clutch, smoke till bald.

Get video, post on YouTube.

Try and sell them. If they don't sell then use them on the street.

Get video, post on YouTube.

Try and sell them. If they don't sell then use them on the street.

yer but the problem is, i dont have the tools and the know how to change a tyre, so i rely on buying it from the shop and the shop putting it on for me. so if i changed tyres and keeped the new one, and no one buys it, i cant put it on again.

yer but the problem is, i dont have the tools and the know how to change a tyre, so i rely on buying it from the shop and the shop putting it on for me. so if i changed tyres and keeped the new one, and no one buys it, i cant put it on again.

tire spoons don't cost all that much, it's not that hard to learn. I'm sure there are videos on you tube or somewhere to show you how. Would be easer to learn if someone could show you first hand, but if not you'll figure it out:thumbsup:

Now my question is, should I just ride on the road with the dirt front and rear tyres? I know they will wear out real fast but it’s better than having them lay around not being used or sold?

Your opinions thanks.

Here's what I would do. Put the tire on your bike, then have one of your friends grab a video camera and film while you do a brake-stand smoke-show until the tire explodes. Then post it on youtube.

JayC

Honestly, what I'd do...

Pull those tires off. Find a friend/TTer/ADVrider/whoever locally that has a dualsport bike, and runs dualsport tires. Ask for a set of those when they're done with them. Bald, worn-out, junk tires... but they're street-legal approved tires. Put those on your bike. Do the inspection to get the title/plate. When you get home with the plate in hand... pull those tires off, put the dirt tires back on.

That's what I did when I first got my bike plated.

Because I do so much dualsport riding (I commute to/from work on the bike, as well as ride to the trails) I ended up going with 90/10 tires (Dunlop D606 on the rear, MT21 on the front). They hold up well, and aren't as bad as straight-up dirt tires are on the street. Downside is they don't get the bite in the dirt that a dirt-specific tire will. But the compromise is worth it.

Nowhere does it say you can only have one set of tires per bike.

It's not too hard. Totally worth it to do yourself if you ride a lot... Also, what happens if you're out on the trails and pinch a hole in the tube? Just going to call the shop and push the bike there to have them change the tube? :lol:

Buy the tools, carry them with you when you ride. Motion Pro makes a combination axle nut wrench/tire spoon that's totally worth the money. Get one of those, and a second pair of tire spoons (Three total). There's videos on youtube of how to change a tire, and a handful of threads here that explain the process fairly well. The first time or two through you're going to be hating life... do it a few times and figure out all the tricks and you'll get good at it.

I can have the bike on the stand, both front and rear tires off the bike, changed out, and back on the bike ready to ride in a little over an hour. During the winter I swap knobbies for studdies when it's going to snow/ice, then swap back to the knobbies when the roads and parking lots dry up.

An air compressor greatly expedites the inflating process, but it's not necessary. Also nice to have for blowing down parts after you wash them. A bicycle pump will work though, I used one of those before I got a compressor. On the trail I carry a "Second Wind" mountain bike tire inflator... combination pump and CO2 inflator. CO2 will fill a tire from flat pretty easy, but the pump's nice for just running the tires up a few PSI for street riding.