On, Off, and Reserve switch?

when in the ON position, the fuel level will go down to a certain point and then the bike will stop even though there is still fuel in the tank, then switch to reserve and it will use the bottom e.g. 1.5 litres of the tank, to get home/back to camp. it is 'reserved' fuel for this reason, so u are not stuck out in the middle of nowhere. like DontRoostMe said and is basically and indication that u are low on fuel and u should get back to camp/home asap.

A picture might help.. as stated, when 'on' the fuel comes thru the longer pipe. Once you run the tank down past that point, you can flip it to 'reserve' which will drain the lower part of the tank.

If you put it on 'reserve' all the time, then when you run out, you're done!

..a

250_petcock_03a.jpg

you'll know when you're running out of gas when the bike begins idling lower, has poorer throttle response (particularly fast throttle changes) and sputters. this is when you switch to the reserve supply. it's good to practice changing the petcock position while you're moving, although that's a more practical skill for street riding/motorcycles, unless if you're in a race that is.

i turn the fuel valve off if i'm going to leave the bike to sit for more than a few minutes. of course when you put it away after riding you should keep the valve turned off.

you'll know when you're running out of gas when the bike begins idling lower, has poorer throttle response (particularly fast throttle changes) and sputters. this is when you switch to the reserve supply. it's good to practice changing the petcock position while you're moving, although that's a more practical skill for street riding/motorcycles, unless if you're in a race that is.

i turn the fuel valve off if i'm going to leave the bike to sit for more than a few minutes. of course when you put it away after riding you should keep the valve turned off.

if your on a 2 stroke, it will run lean and can cause a runaway too, which is when your engine revs uncontrollably because the lean mixture is causing extra heat which causes it to detonate before it sparks