Sign in to follow this  

Is my new kill switch safe? 98 honda cr250

Okay fellas please make note that since this picture I have moved it over to the opposite side of the clutch clamp (further from my hand) AND rotated to a vertical point so I don't accidentally hit the OFF somehow..

I don't feel that it's any more likely to be hit than a normal kill button style, but after my throttle stuck wide open at the track the other day with no kill switch, I realized the true value of one and picked this up immediately.

Thanks for looking! :lol:

IMAG0495.jpg

Wow anyone out of 40 people? I haven't seen one like this ever on a 2t, so just making sure it's okay...

yeah i don't see a problem with it

i don't remember ever hitting my kill switch inadvertently.

Yeah I figured that it wasn't any more likely to be kicked off than the regular black/red button kill switches.

Yeah I figured that it wasn't any more likely to be kicked off than the regular black/red button kill switches.

Is that a toggle switch? As in push off once and it's dead, push on once and it's alive?

I would be worried about hitting it if it was. But if you don't think you'll hit it, then just ride.:lol:

Dude! Get rid of that and get the proper kill switch that you have to hold down! Just my 2 cents.

Edited by rhinorm250

Is that a toggle switch? As in push off once and it's dead, push on once and it's alive?

I would be worried about hitting it if it was. But if you don't think you'll hit it, then just ride.:lol:

Yea it's a toggle hit off and it kills it. Hit on and you're ready to ride.

I don't understand what the right one is? They're all just as likely to be hit? This kill switch IS made for dirt bikes.

Yea it's a toggle hit off and it kills it. Hit on and you're ready to ride.

I don't understand what the right one is? They're all just as likely to be hit? This kill switch IS made for dirt bikes.

No! The correct switch for that bike is a spring loaded button, so you have to hold it down the entire time until the engine dies, if you tap it once and let go, it will not die but keep running.

But with the switch you have in that picture, if you accidentally tap it off, your effed! say you accidentally hit it in the air re-grabbing the bars from doing a no hander, your bike will die locking the rear tire in the air causing your front end to drop likely causing you to eat your face. Whereas if you had the correct kill switch, the bike would not have died in the air because you have to hold it down for several seconds to kill the bike.

soooo, like said before, buy the correct kill switch for your bike bro, that switch is an accident waiting to happen...

that switch is a very huge problem. a motorcycle is no place for an idiot mistake like that. take it off! rhino explained it perfectly, that switch is huge and gets in the way, it would be very easy to bump that when you're doing something important. a normal kill switch is merely a button that you must hold down for a few seconds to turn the bike off, so there is no mistaking that you want it turned off. that switch can get easily bumped, even if you think it's out of the way you never know what could hit it. i wouldn't want to find out the hard way when i'm in the air and my bike dies and sends me lawn darting toward the earth. if you truly did realize the value of such an important safety item then you would go out and get the correct OEM part, or at least a push button type. hell, i'd rather use the guy's switch that was a spring glued to a piece of plastic for insulation than use this switch.

Standard TM start/kill switch is not dissimular in funtion and I can tell you all from that that thing is leathal !!!!!!!

I got a bit crossed up out of shape what ever you wish to call it and knocked the kill switch and went from saving it all to a huge world of pain, when recovered I again in climbing over logs knocked it and again ended up in a huge heap with the bike driving me into the ground like a tent peg

GET RID OF IT

This wouldn't be your fix to your other thread titled 98 cr250 screams uncontrolably? right? hope not!

I would just put the stock kill button on if it were me...oh and get a shorter screw for that clutch perch!

This wouldn't be your fix to your other thread titled 98 cr250 screams uncontrolably? right? hope not!

I would just put the stock kill button on if it were me...oh and get a shorter screw for that clutch perch!

No it wouldn't. We actually just replaced my 6+ year old throttle tube/cable :) My extremely knowledgeable mechanic friend guaranteed me that was the cause. Not only did we replace it, but we installed the top notch motion pro vortex tube and corresponding teflon coated cable. The difference in throttle smoothness and snap back is stupid good. Not only that, but my original cable was routed wrong (above the rad/spark hoses) when it's actually supposed to go under those, so we also routed it correctly.

I originally bought the correct kill switch, but it was made to mount on the clutch some weird way that would put it up vertical and just be retarded, so I drove all the way up there and the guy gave me this one. I personally really like the design, but even if I ride through some thick brush and duck my head (as we usually do) that switch can get hit so darn easy. You guys don't have to worry about me hitting it coming back from a huge "no handed superman" :banghead: but I see the problem. I hate that I have to take it back AGAIN, but whatever. That's kind of how everything has been with this bike. We even replaced all the hardware with new shiny bolts. That's why you see the ones that are a little long. We're cutting those and then removing them so they re-thread correctly :lol:

I just got it back (used to own it 4 years ago) so we're slowly going through rebuilding EVERYTHING and replacing anything that isn't cherry.

Alright fellas, this story ends well because I just bought a new switch. It's the typical black box with red button that you push and HOLD... My buddy bought off my other one for his sons pw50.