Sign in to follow this  

Later model YZ125 difference?

Hi guys, looking at buying a YZ125 again. Im looking at getting 2007 and up to maybe 2010.

Wondering what the differences are inbetween these models? I noticed that the 2009 has wave discs but wondering what else is different.

Thanks

08 it got the smaller caliper and wave rotors I believe.

There are hardly any other changes in between those years other than BNG that I can remember. The YZs from 2006 till 2012 are basically the same.

Hi guys, looking at buying a YZ125 again. Im looking at getting 2007 and up to maybe 2010.

Wondering what the differences are inbetween these models? I noticed that the 2009 has wave discs but wondering what else is different.

Thanks

Tim512 is right, no big differences other than a few minor items and graphics. Be aware that the Australian YZ 125 has different jetting and some specs to the US model ones so if you do get one, just be cautious of jetting advice on TT.

Don't wait too long, go and get one, you won't regret it.

Like the other guys said, just find a 2006+ bike that isn't thrashed.

If you wind up with a 2006 or 2007 just do the brake upgrades with Honda or later YZ-YZF parts.

and if you get a 06 or 07 do the shift bearing replacement thing (not 100% Ive remembered the years correctly)

thanks guys,

i had a 2006 a few years but and it was a great bike.

Im probably gonna try and get a 09 or 10 but ill see what i find.

Im coming off a 2010 rmz250

the shift problem is on the 05-06 i believe. I know that 08 got a different reed valve that is supposed to be a little bit better but the bike is pretty much the same from 06 on

Sold the RMZ last week so now im looking to buy.

Theres a few from about 2006 - 2008 that are around the $3500 mark so looking for something like that.

Ill probably buy a shorty PC pipe and V3 Reeds along with a new piston and rings when i get it to freshen it up.

So whats the deal with the brake upgrade? What do i need? thanks

The 06 YZ125 has been popping up all over our local winter MX races. Combination of super mini racers moving up and college-age racers who have found out keeping their four strokes in top shape costs a lot.....now that daddy isn't footing the bill.

Kind of cool seeing and hearing the screaming tiddlers rail sand berms without letting off.

Yea there coming back here in Australia aswell.

I am looking at 1 2007 with pro circuit pipe and silencer for $3000

Or a 2008 stock for $3500?

What would be the better buy?

Thanks

08 got the wave rotors and smaller calipers up front.

Dont really need the brake upgrade on the 08+ Yz's if you run the Honda pads. But if your like me your looking for the best bang for your buck. I grabbed a full CRF front brake set up for my Yz's for like $50 a peice. It helps a little but not as much as on the older bikes. What your really looking for is the MC, pads, line, and caliper. All will bolt right up to your Yz stuff. The only thing you need from your Yz is the caliper hanger to make it work.

As far as the bikes mentioned above I think they are both priced too high, but Im not sure about the money differences over there, so I may be a little off base.

Yea id probably see how it went and go from there.

So the honda stuff just fits up easy? Is there a thread about it on here?

Yea bikes over here are pretty expensive compared to what you guys pay i think. Most the 09 year 125 are still around 4500-5000

Yea, theres tons of them. If you do a search in the Yamaha 2 stroke forum (just search "Honda brake") you'll find everything you need to know in order to do the conversion. Its one of the more popular mods amongst us Yami guys.

thanks ftball90 ill have to ask you some questions when i get it to what i should do with it sounds like you no ur stuff. Cheers

Ill probably buy a shorty PC pipe and V3 Reeds along with a new piston and rings when i get it to freshen it up.

id probably stay away from the v3, pretty sure the oem ones are just as good, could put that 150 somewhere else, like JD kit or something, or just get replacement reeds:thumbsup: and for the bikes id probably pay closer attention to the first two

id probably stay away from the v3, pretty sure the oem ones are just as good, could put that 150 somewhere else, like JD kit or something, or just get replacement reeds:thumbsup: and for the bikes id probably pay closer attention to the first two

I have read that i may just get replacement boyesen reeds depends what happens.

yea the first 2 seem good i think even tho they are only 2006 models.

They both have fair few bits on them and the first one has ton of spares aswell.