Sign in to follow this  

Need help, would like to know what I screw up!

Yesterday while trying to jump a double I landed hard on the ramp of the second jump. At the time I was riding on the arch of my feet so when I landed I hit the shift & the rear brake lever. Don't know why since I have an autoclutch but the bike cutout on me & had to restart it. When I restarted it I noticed the bike was stuck in 1st gear even when the shift lever could move up & down. Has this happen to anyone else?. Any clues as to what could be damaged in the transmission?. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Roger

Do you have large feet? I'm thinking when it's fixed you might need a longer shifter. On a hard landing I normally try to stay on the forward part of my arches and with size 10s, the shifter still misses my toe and toe moves up anyway. Sounds like your peg was close to your heal.

With an auto clutch, the bike can still stall on a hard landing. The fuel in the bowl is sloshed up, and it's possible that during that split second your did something erratic with the throttle. Or maybe you bumped the kill switch.

I also wear size 10. What happened is I landed hard & as I compressed into the bike on the up ramp of the 2nd jump both feet pivoted at the arch rotating the toes down while I was applying gas with both shifter and brake down. I know when you think of it, is a stupid mistake to make, but in honesty I have a hard time shifting my feet from the balls of the foot when not shifting/braking to the arch when I have to.

You might want to check the shifting shaft. I did something similar and the shaft broke from the plate it is welded to. If that's the case, it's an easy repair located inside the clutch cover. Best place to start since you have to remove it to get to the transmission. That's if your shifter moves freely without any resistance.

• Like 1

I know i only have 1 post and joined back in '06. I completely forgot that I had this account name.

Well after removing the case there it was (as the fiche says), the " lever comp-change shaft" was broke. Looked in the TT store & is $52 shipped to my door. One week without riding, I'll have to deal with it.

• Like 1