Sign in to follow this  

Kaboom $$$ Cha Ching

In NASCAR they call that an oil pan failure. The oil pan failed to keep all those parts from falling outta the engine and onto the ground. Not a good thing when engine internals suddenly become externals.

Jim

• Like 1

I would say that it doesnt matter is it 2 or 4 stroke when rod goes like that. It will destroy the engine anyways. Engine does keep a little wierd noice before it blows. So.. ears, use them when riding. It saves money. :lol:

In NASCAR they call that an oil pan failure. The oil pan failed to keep all those parts from falling outta the engine and onto the ground. Not a good thing when engine internals suddenly become externals.

Jim

Thanks for the laugh! First the video, then the oil pan quote! Made my morning.

I would say that it doesnt matter is it 2 or 4 stroke when rod goes like that. It will destroy the engine anyways.

True, but it happens much more often with the 4-strokes because they have much larger bore to stroke, very short piston skirts and run at much higher rpm.

I've been racing since 1980 and I've only seen one 2-stroke rod shoot out of the cases in all those years. I've witnessed 5 thumpers do it in just the last 5 years. Based on that stat, you'll blow up about 30 thumpers before you shoot the rod out of the cases of a 2-stroke.

Jim

I hadn't heard that one. I'm going to use it next chance I get...:lol:

A motor house I used to work at from time to time we'd build up a motor...run it on the dyno to get numbers....then max it to see what would come apart. The dyno room is enclosed in 4" bullet proof plexiglass, with remote control of the motor. Sometimes those blocks would shoot a rod through the block and hammer the walls. Scare the crap out of ya.

Also, used to do speed runs on my sportbike from San Diego to Vegas...one night a buddies nitro'd zx750 shot a rod out and splintered his foot.

Looks like another parts bike...He apparently knew what happened instantly and goes "oh noooo"

That sick in the stomach oh Noooo feeling. Judging by the way the scattered parts came through, he's gonna be lucky if the tranny is salvageable. My buddys yz450f rod broke near the top and swung around multiple times before coming to rest. Taking out the cylinder, cases, bending trans shafts, and destroying head from valves being shoved up from out of control piston. He was absolutely SICK, and it was a total loss. His ended up as a parts bike, as the cost for a new engine was literally more than value of bike. His bike was a 06, and this happened in 08.

He's national #64 pro. Finished 12th at the the Southwick National this year. Hopefully, Kawi will take care of it.

i guess when you beat a bike as bad as most anyoen with an ama pro card does its bound to happen when you're a privateer... I doubt his bike gets taken down bolt by bolt after every race like factory and other big teams...

makes me worry about my 09 it almost has the same kind of 'somethign is lose' sound...some what, kind of.. a little lol... btu its my first 4s so I'm not sure if its out ofthe normal.. and i put about 1/25th the in the whole season as they would in 1 race :lol:

2t's are not immune.

Had a KX 125 blow up the same way.

I would say that it doesnt matter is it 2 or 4 stroke when rod goes like that. It will destroy the engine anyways. Engine does keep a little wierd noice before it blows. So.. ears, use them when riding. It saves money. :lol:

That kind of catastrophic failure on a 4 stroke is easily 3X the cost of the same failure on a 2T though.

Based on that stat, you'll blow up about 30 thumpers before you shoot the rod out of the cases of a 2-stroke.

Sounds like a challenge.

JayC

sickening.. I always cringe when I here the starting line rev-lim. Until I get parts 4free, you wont see me doing that