Sign in to follow this  

woods machine

Hey guys, I think I decided that I am going to convert one of my MX machines over to a woods machine and try my hand at a few hare scrambles... I’m new to the game of hare scrambles however grew up riding in the woods before i went to the track side of things...

Weapon of choice: 2010 RMZ 450

give me the list of parts needed to have a capable woods weapon... or any pictures of any bike that you may have made into a woods weapon just to give me an idea of what exactly I’m getting myself into! thanks!

Get a 2.6 IMS gas tank, bark busters and a skid plate. And plan on having your suspension revalved, normally there are no supercross jumps on a Hare Scramble track, but there roots and rocks so plan on going with softer damping on both ends.

It all depends on you and how long these races are. If it 1 1/2 hours or less your stock gas can will work just fine. Your stock suspension is good if you re-move 20 cc of oil from the forks. You may want a skid plate/ hand guards and maybe a rear shark fin for the brake rotor.... your ready to start with a few races. After your first few you may want to do more suspension work... Our RMZ's still have stock valving.... Now I did change the IP spring in mine...

You can do 1.5 hrs on the stock tank?

I did a fast paced 46mile singletrack loop last weekend with a 2.6gal IMS and I only had about a inch of fuel left. Skidplate is a must, crack a case and your done, nothing worse then a mech dnf, not worth it. I've just been using flag/mx style handguards, have some probends but haven't felt the need for them lately. I revlaved the suspension but left oil level the same as stock. Planning on putting my Scotts damper on it even though it doesn't really need it, I have it so might as well use it. I also want to extend the clutch actuator arm for lighter clutch pull. So far I'm really liking my RMZ450 in the woods, think I may finally get on the podium with it.

I have a 2007 rmz 450 and when I use to race c class (1.5 hr race) I could finish the race with out pitting on a stock tank and I usually ran top 3. Now that I'm racing the 2 hr main in B class I run a 3.2 gallon tank just for safe measures so I dont have to stop (but more for when I go out into the forest on non race days). I also run cycra bark busters, cut my bars down to 28 inches, dropped down one tooth in the front sprocket and got a skid plate. My suspesion is stock, all I did was dial it in for my preferance ( although I will probably send it out over the winter to et revalved). I absolutly love this bike. Handles great both in the woods and mx track is is problem free! :worthy:rmz450

You can do 1.5 hrs on the stock tank?

I did a fast paced 46mile singletrack loop last weekend with a 2.6gal IMS and I only had about a inch of fuel left. Skidplate is a must, crack a case and your done, nothing worse then a mech dnf, not worth it. I've just been using flag/mx style handguards, have some probends but haven't felt the need for them lately. I revlaved the suspension but left oil level the same as stock. Planning on putting my Scotts damper on it even though it doesn't really need it, I have it so might as well use it. I also want to extend the clutch actuator arm for lighter clutch pull. So far I'm really liking my RMZ450 in the woods, think I may finally get on the podium with it.

Can you tell us more about extending the clutch actuator arm, I am very interested.

lengthen it 3/16" and should make the pull much lighter, like a hydro clutch or so I've read. it's on the top of my list and seems like it should be a pretty quick and easy thing to do if you know how to weld..

lengthen it 3/16" and should make the pull much lighter, like a hydro clutch or so I've read. it's on the top of my list and seems like it should be a pretty quick and easy thing to do if you know how to weld..

Just a follow up guys on this mod. It's been in use for several weeks now, and I kid you not, it's the best clutch mod I've ever done. Just don't over lengthen too much as it'll hit the cylinder. I even purchased a second arm prior just in case it got messed up, but it works great.

Hey guys, I think I decided that I am going to convert one of my MX machines over to a woods machine and try my hand at a few hare scrambles... I’m new to the game of hare scrambles however grew up riding in the woods before i went to the track side of things...

Weapon of choice: 2010 RMZ 450

give me the list of parts needed to have a capable woods weapon... or any pictures of any bike that you may have made into a woods weapon just to give me an idea of what exactly I’m getting myself into! thanks!

With all the bikes in your list i almost would have taken the rm250 as the woods bike. Anyone using the tokyo mods selectable ignition box for woods riding?