Sign in to follow this  

whiskey throttle

hi guys i have heard the term whiskey throttle being used on this before and I think my bike has it so i think the probelm could be the power now in the carb so if i remove it would i have to adjust jetting, this part was on the bike when i bought it and i dunno what way the jetting is set. thanks

hi guys i have heard the term whiskey throttle being used on this before and I think my bike has it so i think the probelm could be the power now in the carb so if i remove it would i have to adjust jetting, this part was on the bike when i bought it and i dunno what way the jetting is set. thanks

Whiskey Throttle isn't a problem with the bike, it's a user error. Basically it's when you loose control of the bike and you naturally tend to grip harder or hold on tighter. This makes you grab more throttle and increase speed by accident. Pretty much when this happens, the only way you are stopping is when you wreck.

Happened to me the first time on my yz250. I hit a bump, tensed up, and hammered the throttle. Next thing I know, my brake lever is bent and I'm in the bushes.

Lol and if there is a part called "whiskey throttle" I'm not to sure it would sell........

sounds like the nut behind the throttle needs adjusmtent. :lol: seriously if your having trouble keeping your yz under control just click it up a gear taller to make the power more manageable. There are also a slew of other mods you can do to mellow it out. just do a search in this forum under "taming yz"

this is a common problem for newer riders or 4-stroke converts.

Ah, whiskey throttle. I get drunk on WT when it's dryslick and I'm tired. Always seems to get me at 1 particular riding area with lots of ridgetop rutted narrow trails. My YZ has passed me a few times while I'm doing the helicopter.

A flywheel weight has helped. So has reminding myself to take it easy and back off when my elbows drop and the ground is not 100% ego dirt.

Should consider going to a support group. "Hi, I have a whiskey problem."

I'm going to quit laughing and step away from this thread because the youtube vids of whiskey throttle and goon riding makes me cry. I like the helmetless riders in the local field crashes. Must. Step. Away.

Correct... here is a good example of whiskey throttle.

sounds like the nut behind the throttle needs adjusmtent. :lol: seriously if your having trouble keeping your yz under control just click it up a gear taller to make the power more manageable. There are also a slew of other mods you can do to mellow it out. just do a search in this forum under "taming yz"

this is a common problem for newer riders or 4-stroke converts.

I'm not questioning his intelligence or anything, but I really don't even understand what he is mistaking whiskey throttle with. Do you? He sounds very confused, but it does seem like he's intimidated by the power.

I'm not questioning his intelligence or anything, but I really don't even understand what he is mistaking whiskey throttle with. Do you? He sounds very confused, but it does seem like he's intimidated by the power.

He's from Ireland.. Maybe he drank too much whiskey before his post?? :lol:

Lol welcome to TT!:lol:

So what is the bike doing that you think you need to tame it? Power too snappy? Dont like the lightswitch (on/off) power.

Now you no what i am talking about, yes the bike is too snappy and i want to tame it so maybe take out the powernow, for all the other smart muppets i have the bike 3yrs and still cant get the swing of it, for enduro its fine but for track use its awful

Exactly what bike are we talking about?

Most riders love the snap on the track and thats why some riders are die hard 2 stroke guys, simply because of the fun factor... and prefer to tame it for trail use. In my case Im always in the power (or at least try to be) so its really a non factor for me. Simply put you cant ride it like a 4 stroke. The main difference I notice between riding my 250 smoker vs. my 450 thumper is that on the thumper I can pretty much pin it from closed throttle at any time and not worry too much about wheel spin and the sudden hook up and traction, its more of a point and go strategy. Where as on the 2 stroke youll find yourself looking at the sky because it just spins and then find traction from no where and takes off. You need to have excellent throttle and clutch control to ride a 250 smoker to keep it hooked up and chugging along without surprises.

Its probably not the power now that is giving you so much snap... I had one on my old 01 Yz250 I sold a while back and I didnt notice any difference when compared to the bike without it. You might want to look into ignition timing changes and/or a FWW to smooth out the power delivery. Do a search in the Yz forum and you will find all the info and then some that your need.

Now you no what i am talking about, yes the bike is too snappy and i want to tame it so maybe take out the powernow, for all the other smart muppets i have the bike 3yrs and still cant get the swing of it, for enduro its fine but for track use its awful

on the previous page i actually anwsered your question seriously....well after making one smart ass remark. :lol:

please do a search in this forum for "taming yz" there are hundreds of posts on this. Start with a fly wheel weight. in addition you can try, gearing changes, retarding the timing, pipe spacers, jetting changes, a g2 throttle cam. i know if my bike is jetted on lean side the power can be very abrupt.

your problem is backwards from most people. most people love the stock yz motor on the track but find it to be handful in the woods. either way there are plenty of ways to eliviate the problem. guys were just joking you because whiskey throttle is a rider error not a mechanical problem so the question was pretty funny but we knew what you meant.

• Like 1

Easiest way to tame the YZ is a flywheel weight or slightly taller gearing.. Also different pipes and timing adjustments can help or a different throttle cam.. :lol:

I guess the best question is one that I haven't seen answered here yet.

What bike and year are we talking about?

If it is an 80/85, those things are definitely like a light switch. You either have all of the power or none. There isn't a whole lot that can be done to mellow out what is there.

If it is a 250, well then there are several things that can be done to smooth out the power.

Without know exactly what bike he rides, we can't necessarily make the best recommendations.