Need a stack, going from dual to single stage

I thought I'd try out a single stage stack in my forks but not sure what to start with. Here's my setup

05 KX250 2 stroke, 165# B rider, MX

RT gold valves, cL6/cH7, 270ml oil, .46 RT springs, 1.6 ICS springs

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n248/Jeekinz/Misc%20Bike/IMG_18931.jpg

I've been around 6-10 out on the comp, 14 out on the rebound. the bike is handling jumps pretty good now, but I still get fatigued on huge hard pack whoops and sharp bumps. Was thinking about eliminating the 2 stage valving altogether and possibly re-installing the stock IC springs.

Rear shock is stock with PC link, 100mm sag, stock 5.3 spring, C 7, R 15

Weird , that KYB setup sheet looks to be the exact same shim recommendations as my R/T 02 CRF450R Showa setup sheet

Just as a question , have you checked with Dogger ?? about this ??, he made a suggestion for my bike and i cant believe the difference it made after trying different setups without getting the results i was looking for , my bike is for the first time not beating me to death , and he said if i change to a few aftermarket parts it will be even plusher , the harsh hits are almost completely gone to the point i can go much faster than i was able to with the other setups , it doesn't "float" over everything yet , but its close , and night and day from what it was

All i can say is what he suggested the first time , worked better than anything else i tried so far , by a long shot

I thought I'd try out a single stage stack in my forks but not sure what to start with.

by removing the crossover you will get a stiffer lowspeed.

by keeping the rest of the stack you will also get a stiffer mid and highspeed, but less effect the higher the rod speed is.

so lets say you want about the same midspeed damping (though this is a subjective range) you have to soften

the stack a tad. I would start with replacing one .15x21 face shim with a .1x21

What's your midvalve stack look like and what float are you running?

I'd also post the rebound stack.

Stock mid/reb, but I'm open to suggestions.

by removing the crossover you will get a stiffer lowspeed.

by keeping the rest of the stack you will also get a stiffer mid and highspeed, but less effect the higher the rod speed is.

so lets say you want about the same midspeed damping (though this is a subjective range) you have to soften

the stack a tad. I would start with replacing one .15x21 face shim with a .1x21

Start with cH10 but swap a 15x21 for a 10x21?

Im getting so much feedback from my forks I can't ride as fast as I want to. This is the kind of stuff I've been riding:

IMG_2858.jpg

IMG_2862.jpg

you marked cH4 on the sheet. sorry, can't follow you?

sorry man, the stacks with the 2 red dots were the original suggested by Race Tech, way too soft. Nevermind those. I'm running cL6 and cH7 right now.

.15x21 (2)

.10x13

.15x21 (1)

.10x21 (2)

.10x19

.10x18

.10x17

.10x14

.10x13

.10x12

.10x11

something like this?

.15x21 (2)

.10x21 (1)

.10x19

.10x17

.10x14

.10x13

.10x12

.10x11

Sure, that'd be great. I have all the stock stuff saved.

Heres what im currently running. They work surprisingly well IMO.

05 KX 250

Stock mid valve and rebound spec. .46 fork springs. ICS from a Yamaha 2.0.

Free piston "not drilled". 310CC outers. I weight 200 lbs. Forks flush in the clamps. Shock re-valved and 3mm spacer, stock link, stock shock spring. Sag set 105mm.

Fork- C9 R10

Fork base valve

22.1x6

• 1 month later...

Fork base valve

22.1x6

So close to a single stage. When you were experimenting with different stacks how did you settle on using a 20 for a crossover. Is it noticeable compared to the same shims in a linear layout.

• 1 month later...

Jeekinz:

Do you have those GV?

http://imageshack.us.../p1040122m.jpg/

could you give me a more detailed explaination?

Gold Valve on left, stock on right: http://i114.photobuc...c%20Bike/gv.jpg

I bought the kit new and have been trying to tune a dual stage setup for close to a year. I was only able to get good results for woods, not MX. I finally got around to making some changes in the stack. For one, convert it to a single stage and I also took some advice and replaced the .15 shims supplied by Race tech with .10 shims. the first stack in post #7 was the dual stage I replaced.

I'm also running one spring rate up from what's recommended

I did remove the 1.6 IC springs and installed the stock 2.2 (or whatever thay are) but I want to install a set of 2.0 since I'm getting a touch of front wheel push.

Edited by Jeekinz