Sign in to follow this  

Blue grove covered with sand!

Well, it is winter here in Alberta and I have been going over my video's from the past summer. I have noticed a lot of things that I need to work on. One thing I noticed was how much my front tire washes out on the track under certain conditions. Our track is run by volunteers and isn't groomed regularily. Often it goes from Mud to dry and concrete like in a week. We allow pee wee's to experts and dirt bikes and atv's as well. This basicly means that they don't groom the track very deep so the little bikes don't have so much struggle. It does mean that we often get blue grove with a slight sand over the top. So, my two questions. What do you guys run for a tire that works in this case and secondly, what technique do you use to prevent front tire wash out? I am a beginner/intermediate vet rider on a YZ 250. Thanks for the input.

The Bug

To turn in that situation you really have to position the corner of the seat up the crack of your ass. If it's on the faces of the jumps try shifting up one gear. It's easy to lose traction on a smoker with blue groove jumps.

• Like 1

well, i have been out a couple of times and have noticed that my tires are very comfortable only in a small range of track conditions. basically they only work well when there is some moisture,but not to much, but also start to loose again oce the conditions get drier. i have decided to switch up my tires to see if that gives better control over a wider terrain.

Now if my collarbone wasnt pined and in 5 pieces i could go test them.

thebug

Whats your suspension setup like and where do you ride on the bike(farther back, in the middle, to the front)? What type of tires are you running?

Wow it has been a long time since I have been on TT. I got out early last spring with my sag set to 104 (race sag at or below 30--need to resrping) and well used kenda Millvilles. The spring conditions were pretty good, but my season ended really short after my fourth time out. I ended up crashing a long table top nose first. Panicing, I had my front break on and catapulted myself into the dirt. I shattered my colarbone in 5 pieces. The summer was filled with physio and pain from the plate and 9 screws. Finally in December the doc's took the plate out and the difference is remarkable. I am actually thinking about driving again. Still working hard at getting physically back to where I was. Thanks for the responses. I will be putting on a set of new tires and respringing forks and shocks before I go out again. I will be taking it slow at first for sure. :)

The bug

Photo303.jpg