Sign in to follow this  

next bike for a 7 year old

My boy is about to turn 7. He has ridden a crf 50 for 1 year. He primarily trail rides.

I have looked at the crf 70 but was really unimpressed with the brakes, suspensions, etc...

I also looked at the KLX and SX 65's which have more travel, but I am concerned that a 2 stroke may kick his butt and also concerned that they have to be ridden on the pipe due to lack of low end torque, which for a little kid on a trail ride, wont be a whole lot of fun.

I also read about the KLX 110 which has the same seat height as a CRF 70 and a little more suspension travel.

I would appreciate your experience with this so I don't make a mistake.

The klx is a good bike based on what the dealer near me moves. If your son wants a manual clutch, the 110L is the same as the auto 110. Im a fan of yamaha but the ttr is auto as well. As far as the 65 smoker, the dealer should let you ride it a bit, at least ours does. Depends on if youre able to get a new bike in a couple years or need to make this one last. Good luck and im glad to see another youngster getting out there!

The crf 90's are a nice bike. A big jump from the 50 though. My neighbor bought one for his daughter when she has 10, She is now 12 and its still a great bike for her. I am 65kg and i find it fun to ride, The throttle is extremely smooth throughout the rev's and the front shocks take in allot of the bumps.

The crf 90 would introduce the clutch. Which it is a great bike for him to learn that on, I am just unsure if it would be to big for him. I got my first 125 thump-star at 9 and it was a good learner. The CRF is lower than it, Allot smoother all around.

Take him to the shop, Let him sit on the 90 and just see if he is able to touch the ground easily, and that it isnt to heavy for him.

I have seen people teach kids the clutch on a newer, Bigger bike. But still have to old one there for riding. Have an hour of learning the new bike, Experimenting . Once they have had a decent ride/learning time on the new bike. Get them on the old one. Slowly introduce the new bike to them so its not such a big jump. I learnt to ride on an old 2 stroke 100cc road/postie looking bike "Not light". I would of been about 7 maybe a little less.

At the end of the day its you're decision, Hope i have helped :lol:

The KLX is fine. the TTR 90 and 110 are a next step up also. the 110 has a lot of power for a 7 year old.

We had the CRF70 and that bike is kinda underpowered I thought. Get a TTR110 or KLX110, cannot go wrong with either one. We now have the TTR110, is nice cause it has electric and kick start.

We had the CRF70 and that bike is kinda underpowered I thought. Get a TTR110 or KLX110, cannot go wrong with either one. We now have the TTR110, is nice cause it has electric and kick start.

The KLX is fine. the TTR 90 and 110 are a next step up also. the 110 has a lot of power for a 7 year old.

^ The TTR 90 are also a great bike. Semi auto from what i remember?. Would be allot easier step for him