22 triple clamps 06 yz 250

Some questions for you guys running the tighter clamps (Seth, RC):

How much sag do you guys run with those clamps?

Did you have to increase sag or change your fork height to compensate for stability when you switched the clamps?

With regards to your riding style, do you guys tend to ride the back of the bike or the front?

I've been thinking about trying a set to see if I like them. I would imagine it makes a YZ feel a little more like a CR or RM?

Does the bike go straight through the whoops with the new clamps?

My 2010 has the stock clamps and I'm not running as much sag as I should, it hunts a little coming into corners, but otherwise it's stable. (I haven't really spent enough time in the USA to dial in the "new" bike yet.)

My 2002 is dialed in pretty well with stock offset... It turns ok (not like a CR) but feels ultra stable everywhere.

Good point by RC, I kind of forgot that my forks were a little too stiff/harsh and I had Factory Connection redo the revalve settings and they put a tiny bit less oil and it is much better. So I think my nervous/high speed issue was also suspension related.

I run 108mm of sag and it feels great for me. I tried less than that and even 102-104mm felt worse.

Alright, here are my experiences:

Background: YZ250 with well sorted suspension - Smart Performance (Dave's) setup, correctly sprung, Running about 102mm sag

Terrain: I switch between hardpack, shallow sand and deep sand. On hardpack I ride everything from flowing singletrack, to seriously rutted, rooty, choppy singletrack. In the sand, I'll ride flowing stuff and seriously whooped out deep sand. All offroad riding, no MX

I've been running stock offset for years, however I've shifted to the 22.5mm clams for the last 6 months.

Overall I'm very happy with the 22.5's. Coupled with less sag (closer to 100mm), the bike turns beautifully. Recently started running Pirelli MXMS front (always ran the MX51 and 756 previously). On the snottiest hardpack, slick red clay this bike turns on a dime. The Pirelli makes this thing stick like shit to a blanket. You can tip the bike into turns further. Under gas, the front easily out grips the rear (MX51 on the back). I wouldn't say that I've sacrificed any stability at all. Like I said, I ride some pretty nasty, choppy terrain. The bike inspires absolute confidence. Hit braking / accellaration bumps, logs, roots at weird angles and the whole bike tracks beautifully - no different to stock offset. It just turns better. The bike maintains its characteristic 'Yamaha Stability' - I ooze confidence in this stuff and its all thanks to the bike (at least coming off a KTM :banghead:)

In the sand, the bike continues to turn better than before. I often find myself countersteering in ruts - it turns that well. I can rail berms better than before and don't feel the need to drag the rear brake as much through flat corners.

In deep whoops the bike maintains stability.

BUT

There is indeed less room for error - this applies to deep sand in particular. The bars will return to center faster than with stock offset. They'll snap to center rather than drift to center - if that makes sense. I don't find that this is a problem. The bars don't feel nervous, just more responsive.

There is a definite threshold though, with respect to bar position. Up to a certain point of rotation, the bars will snap to centre (as described above). Beyond this threshold, the bars will do the opposite thing - they'll snap to full lock. This takes place when you get sloppy with your steering input. If your smashing whoops and land with your weight too far forward and the bars cocked too far, they'll snap to full lock and spit you over the front. Yep, I've done that a few times now?

Provided YOU don't get sloppy with front wheel placement and carry your weight back you won't get this problem. I like to kiss the top of whoops with my front wheel. Previously I didn't have to be so precise with where my bars were positioned when the front wheel hit the ground - it was a little more forgiving. Now I have to make sure I hold the bars straighter when hitting the tops of whoops (or when cornering through whoop sections).

On hardpack, I've had a few over the bars excursions, under really really heavy brakes (normally because I haven't looked far enough ahead and spotted that tree across the track :cheers: ) the front can knife underneath you if you carry your weight too far forward with the bars turned a little. Once again, this is rider error.

Overall, I'm much happier with the 22.5's. Just carry your weight back further under heavy brakes and when riding whoops. When the bike gets air and eventually lands, make sure the bars are pointing straight(er). There is less room for error.

I've picked up a lot of speed in corners. Given that I ride predominantly single trail this has been of considerable benefit.

I can't stress enough just how good this thing is on slick hardpack when using the Pirelli MXMS in conjunction with the 22.5's. It feels like I'm cheating every time I hit a corner - its deadset criminal ?

I've found it necessary to add a little extra compression to the front end. The bars don't snap as easily when the bike is held further up in the stroke on the front. Coupled with greater rear weight bias (on fast stuff and under brakes) its pretty hard to go wrong with the 22.5's. Many of my 'over the bars' experiences come down to 'retraining' my brain. I'm so used to riding with the standard offset, I simply have to adjust to the new offset. I'm almost at one with the machine on this one now ?

Berg

Oh and another thing,

After exhaustive searching I have sourced a 22.5 triple and bar clamp combo which also makes provision for a Scotts or GPR damper. I'm not running one at present, though I will experiment with a Scotts shortly.

I'm using the DH1 triple and bar clamp. It comes pre-drilled / tapped for both dampers.

The top triple comes drilled to order, so as to suit your preferred bar mounting position.

Berg

Interesting... I was expecting that you guys with the clamps run more sag than I do. That seems to be the case. I run 98mm to 100mm sag and it's real sensitive, a couple milli' is pertty easy to feel on the track.

I also run the forks about 5mm above the clamps on both bikes (usually at or near as high as the marked groove). Sag and fork height; those two things are super critical on the YZ with OEM clamps. That's what makes a YZ turn for me.

On my 2010, the sag is still a little high... I set it up a little high when the bike was new expecting it to settle down more than it did. It's at around 95mm and I am hunting around in on a lot of corners as a result. My 2002 works reallly well at 98-100mm sag and 5mm on the forks.

I was just thinking that running the clamps would make the bike a little easier to ride because it wouldn't require so much input (moving forward and back) between corners and straights... But I guess that depends on if I can find a setting that feels stable enough in the really sharp edged whoops and gnarly braking bumps.

The stability and tunability the YZ chasis offers is a big reason I like it.

I've found it necessary to add a little extra compression to the front end. The bars don't snap as easily when the bike is held further up in the stroke on the front.

Regarding that, have you played with the fork height at all? I mean, if you drop the forks down in the clamps, you'll get that same additional ride height without any additional damping or harshness.

Interesting... I was expecting that you guys with the clamps run more sag than I do. That seems to be the case. I run 98mm to 100mm sag and it's real sensitive, a couple milli' is pertty easy to feel on the track.

I also run the forks about 5mm above the clamps on both bikes (usually at or near as high as the marked groove). Sag and fork height; those two things are super critical on the YZ with OEM clamps. That's what makes a YZ turn for me.

On my 2010, the sag is still a little high... I set it up a little high when the bike was new expecting it to settle down more than it did. It's at around 95mm and I am hunting around in on a lot of corners as a result. My 2002 works reallly well at 98-100mm sag and 5mm on the forks.

I was just thinking that running the clamps would make the bike a little easier to ride because it wouldn't require so much input (moving forward and back) between corners and straights... But I guess that depends on if I can find a setting that feels stable enough in the really sharp edged whoops and gnarly braking bumps.

The stability and tunability the YZ chasis offers is a big reason I like it.

Regarding that, have you played with the fork height at all? I mean, if you drop the forks down in the clamps, you'll get that same additional ride height without any additional damping or harshness.

Ya, forgot to mention I usually run my fork height at 5mm from top. If you feel like, give this combo a try:

fork leg height = 5mm

rear sag = 105-108mm

I don't think I'd like that much sag just speaking from experience on my older bike. It works best around 98mm-100mm sag and 5mm on the forks.

Keep in mind that my 2010 is still very new and hasn't been properly set up... I'm at about 95mm sag after break in, some practice days and one race day. I will try 100mm and if I'm still hunting, I'll try your 105mm setting for sure.

You can see the hunting in this video.

Watch my handlebars or fender at 0:45 , 0:58 and 1:45

I've found it necessary to add a little extra compression to the front end. The bars don't snap as easily when the bike is held further up in the stroke on the front. Coupled with greater rear weight bias (on fast stuff and under brakes) its pretty hard to go wrong with the 22.5's. Many of my 'over the bars' experiences come down to 'retraining' my brain. I'm so used to riding with the standard offset, I simply have to adjust to the new offset. I'm almost at one with the machine on this one now?

Berg

Berg, this is an awesome discription. For everyone using this mod are you using late model Yamaha clamps or aftermarket. With aftermarket this is a $500 mod, am I right?

Thanks again Berg!

I don't think I'd like that much sag just speaking from experience on my older bike. It works best around 98mm-100mm sag and 5mm on the forks.

Keep in mind that my 2010 is still very new and hasn't been properly set up... I'm at about 95mm sag after break in, some practice days and one race day. I will try 100mm and if I'm still hunting, I'll try your 105mm setting for sure.

You can see the hunting in this video.

Watch my handlebars or fender at 0:45 , 0:58 and 1:45

Although I don't run the 22 offset clamps, you should find by runnng your sag around the 103-105 it will hookup a bit better coming out of flat corners.