Sign in to follow this  

1986 Honda XR200R

Hi ever one, About 6 months ago i bought a 1986 XR200R 4 stroke dirt bike. At the time i didn't really know anything about dirt bikes and i thought it was a really good bike. After about a week it starts smoking alot and now its burning a tank of oil in 30 minutes~not good! It is throwing it out of the exhaust, and all over the back fender. Turns out that the piston and rings need replacing, and I am thinking of getting it bored out as well.

Does anyone know how much it will cost to do that? New piston, rings, valves, and boring it out? Thanks! PS. I live in Canada if that helps to find how much it will cost.

I rebuilt one of my many 200 engines last year and believe I paid 150.00 for a wiesco piston kit off ebay. The wiesco piston is forged as opposed to the stock honda pistons being cast. The wiesco piston kit comes with piston, rings, and wrist pin while from honda these parts have to be purchased seperately and end up being twice as expensive. Make sure you replace the valve seals as well as they can definetely be a major cause of oil burning. I think the machine work cost for boreing out the cylinder was 100.00.

Boring can cost anywhere from $60-100 and the Wiseco piston is definitely the best bet. Bore it .50 over and step up to a 66mm piston. While you're at it, upgrade to Kibblewhite valves, springs and retainers. Cost about $450.00 (boring and parts) but it will be bulletproof after that and all can be found on eBay with reasonable shipping to Canada. You can also contact Powroll and get one of their 218cc kits with all necessary parts. xrsonly.com also has parts readily available. I have an 87 that had been bored and stroked to 240cc by Powroll and I ran into all kinds of problems recently. #1 - the Powroll kit I have uses a 16mm wristpin in the crank/rod setup vs the stock Honda 15mm so finding a piston for it has been a nightmare. Powroll no longer carries parts for their old 240 kits. You can read all about it in the "Powroll 240cc big bore kit" post. Had to use a yamaha tri-z 250 piston (70mm). Good luck with it. These bikes are fun and parts are readily available.