Sign in to follow this  

Aluminum swingarm

Hey guys, I have a 85 XL 600, and was wondering about putting a aluminum singarm on it from an XR. Does anyone know what year will match?

Not exactly,,You realise you won't be able to run the XL wheel on it without a lot of grinding/cutting of the alloy swinger and assorted spacers and brake drum on the XL wheel..You''ll probably be needing the XR shock as well,,XL ones kinda short,,I can't say for sure what year is good regards the swinger,,pretty sure any of the twin carbers swingarms would be fine..,A bit of bashing about and modding will be needed to the top XL shock mounting point to get the XR shock on,,also you may need to do a bit of frigging around on the swingarm shock mount as well,.

Should you buy an XR swingarm get one which comes with the parts that pivot on the swingarm so you don't run into other issues,, I managed to get an XR shock on my XL swingarm without too much mucking about,,makes the bike very tall in the rear end,,ie ,,short people like Bubbles wouldn't like it..

Edited by Horri

I have done this swap a few times. :)

Any XR600R or XR650L swingarm will fit. You'll need to use a dual carb shock/swingarm pivot and the matching wheel or adapt a different wheel. An XR650L lower link will raise the back up 3/8" higher to make it handle better in the tight woods. The best shock is from a '88-91 XR600R with the remote reservoir. I think I remembered the shock years correctly. An earlier XR600 twin carb shock will work, but finding different springs is an issue. To do it correctly the lower link mount on the frame should be relocated slightly. The mount is slightly offset and higher than a XR650L mount is. The swingarm is about 1" longer so you will need a longer chain. As for the brakes using a later XR rear disc is the best swap IMO. You will need to lengthen the kickstand some due to the increased ride height. I used XR650L forks on the front.. If you use a rear disc you'll need to weld mounts for the pedal and master cylinder. The way I just described gave me a 37.5" seat height.

On my last XL600R I used '85 shock with the stock XL swingarm and linkage. I needed to use a XR650L lower link to allow full suspension droop. The longer XR600/XL600 dual carb lower links interfere at full droop. The 1/8" shorter XR650L lower link helps make up for the XL's shorter swingarm length. I ran '85 XR600R forks with it. with the tubes dropped 8mm in the tripples it handled good and had a 37" seat height. This also made it a wheelie monster.

Shock lengths:

XL600R = 14.5"

XR600R dual carb shock = 15" The spring rate was too soft for me at 275#'s.

If I recall the '88-'91 XR600R is 14.75" or 15" I think. I don't have one here to check. They can be hard to find.

'94 XR650L = 14.75" won't fit due to it's fixed reservoir. Listed for reference only. Newer XR650L shocks measure 15" I think...

'86 XR250R = 14.75"(will need a revalve and stiffer spring) has remote reservoir and will fit.

Hope this helps. :banghead:

:lol:

• Like 1

I've got a 2001 650L aluminum swingarm and complete rear disk brake setup that I got for my 85 XR350 but now not using. $150+shipping. PM if interested.

It bolts straight on but have to figure out wheel spacers.

new001.jpg

on my 85 xl 600 I used the swingarm and shock from a 88 xr 600 as thay are both drum brake . You must use the link from the xl 600 and make two spacers. The short line on the xr shock makes it in the way on the twin carb so I used a shock rubber line from a gsxr shock, to mount the can were the tool box was, very neatly tucked away, and out of the way when carb work is needed.this was a great upgrade and would do it again in a hart beat.along with cr 500 forks,to level the bike out and make the travel close to the same front and rear. good luck,Hope this helped :lol:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.113992345362691.20216.100002557781360&type=3#!/photo.php?fbid=113992498696009&set=a.113992345362691.20216.100002557781360&type=3&theater